After so much leaks, speculations and rumors, Nothing has finally launched much-anticipated smartphone which is the company’s first smartphone. The handset is called Nothing Phone (1) as expected.
Nothing Phone (1) launched with Snapdragon 778G+
Design & display
Starting off with the design, the Phone (1) is quite unique from other smartphones on the market. The company has made this device with a transparent back cover that reveals the grooves and outlines of the hardware inside the smartphone.
A clean-looking camera bump is tucked away in the top left corner of the device, which is outlined by one of the most unique features of the smartphone, the LED lights. The Nothing Phone (1) comes with a Glyph interface made up of over 900 LEDs. This is basically a multi-purpose notification light that can do more than just let you know that you got a notification.
It can act as a progress bar for when you are charging the phone, indicate when a device is being wirelessly reverse charged, and can also let you know who’s calling you when your phone is silent and faced down. Additionally, it also has custom notification light patterns to go with different apps. Other than that, the device features flat aluminum edges that give it a premium feel.
Up front, the Phone (1) comes with a 6.55-inch OLED Full HD+ AMOLED display that offers a 120Hz refresh rate. It has 500 nits typical brightness, 1,200 nits peak brightness, HDR10+ support, and 10-bit color. The display has a punch-hole located at the top left for the front camera and features Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection and an ultrasonic in-display fingerprint sensor. The display has even bezels going around it giving the screen a premium look.
Coming to what’s under the hood, the device houses a Snapdragon 778G+ chipset paired with the Adreno 642L GPU. It comes configured with up to 12GB of RAM and 256GB of storage. It uses a 4,500mAh battery to keep the lights on and pairs it with 33W fast charging support. The company states that the Phone (1) can be charged to full in about an hour. The device also has 15W wireless charging and 5W reverse wireless charging.
Software-wise, the Phone (1) comes with the Nothing OS which is pretty close to stock Android 12 and doesn’t have any bloatware. The brand is currently working on making the phone compatible with their devices (Nothing Ear 1) along with third-party devices like Tesla cars. Nothing promises 3 years of Android updates and 4 years of security patches every 2 months for the Phone (1).
For optics, the Nothing Phone (1) brings a dual camera on the back consisting of a 50-megapixel Sony IMX766 sensor with f/1.8 aperture and a 1/1.56 inch sensor size. The primary sensor has support for both optical image stabilization and electronic image stabilization. The primary camera is accompanied by a 16-megapixel Samsung JN1 ultra-wide sensor with 114 degrees field of view. Up front, the smartphone gets a 16-megapixel Sony IMX471 sensor for snapping selfies and video calls.
Nothing Phone (1) Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 3G bands: HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 18, 19, 20, 26, 28, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 66
- 5G bands: 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 40, 41, 77, 78 SA/NSA
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G
- Announced: 2022, July 12
- Status: Exp. release 2022, July 16
- Dimensions: 159.2 x 75.8 x 8.3 mm (6.27 x 2.98 x 0.33 in)
- Weight: 193.5 g (6.84 oz)
- Build: Glass front (Gorilla Glass 5), glass back (Gorilla Glass 5), aluminum frame
- Colors: White, Black
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Multiple LED lights on the back (notifications, charging progress, camera fill light)
- Blinking red light on the back (video recording indicator)
- IP53 – splash, water and dust resistant
- Type: OLED, 1B colors, 120Hz, HDR10+, 500 nits (typ), 1200 nits (peak)
- Size: 6.55 inches, 103.6 cm2 (~85.8% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~402 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Android 12, Nothing OS
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM7325-AE Snapdragon 778G+ 5G (6 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.5 GHz Cortex-A78 & 3×2.4 GHz Cortex-A78 & 4×1.8 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Adreno 642L
- Memory Card slot: No
- Internal: 128GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 12GB RAM
- UFS 3.1
- Main Camera: Dual
- 50 MP, f/1.9, 24mm (wide), 1/1.56″, 1.0µm, PDAF, OIS
- 50 MP, f/2.2, 114˚ (ultrawide), 1/2.76″, 0.64µm
- Features: LED flash, panorama, HDR
- Video: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30/60fps, gyro-EIS, live HDR
- Selfie Camera: Single – 16 MP, f/2.5, (wide), 1/3.1″, 1.0µm
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.2, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS. Up to dual-band: GLONASS (1), BDS (2), GALILEO (1), QZSS (1)
- NFC: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, proximity, gyro, compass
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 4500 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 33W, 50% in 30 min, 100% in 70 min (advertised)
- Wireless charging 15W
- Reverse wireless charging 5W
- Power Delivery 3.0
- Quick Charge 4.0
Nothing Phone (1) Price and Availability
The Nothing Phone (1) has debuted globally with the following price tags:
- 8GB + 128GB – £399
- 8GB + 256GB – £449
- 12GB + 256GB – £499
The device will be available for purchase for the first time at Kiosk, Covent Garden on July 16. After which, the phone will arrive at partner retail stores on July 18. Finally, starting July 21, the device will be made available for purchase on Nothing.tech website.
The company has yet to announce the pricing and availability of the smartphone in other regions like Europe, Asia, etc.
As for India, Nothing’s site reveals that the smartphone will start from ₹31,999 in the country, but the pricing of the higher variants is still under wraps. So, stay tuned for more updates on the matter.