Apple has unveiled the iPhone 12, the first ever 5G Apple phone, and the successor of iPhone 11 and a smallerÂ iPhone 12 mini.
Apple said the iPhone 12 has the most 5G bands in a single smartphone to best utilize the next-generation technology.
The iPhone 12â€™s design features an aluminum frame with smooth edges and a glass back, which makes it 11% thinner, 15% smaller, and 16% lighter than the iPhone 11, despite offering the same 6.1-inch size display.
Apple has also switched from an LCD screen to an OLED panel on the iPhone 12, offering a peak brightness of 1,200 nits, HDR10, and Dolby Vision support.
The iPhone 12 is powered by the A14 Bionic, the first smartphone chip to be built using a 5nm manufacturing process.
It feature 12MP main camera that promises 27% improvement in low-light performance, along with a 12MP ultra-wide secondary camera. There is a 12MP camera on the front with support for Face ID. All the cameras now have night mode and there is a new night mode time-lapse feature.
Three storage options are available â€“ 64GB, 128GB, and 256GB â€“ while there will also be five colors to choose from â€“ black, white, red, blue, and green.
iPhone 12 Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2 (dual-SIM) – for China
- CDMA 800 / 1900
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 46, 48, 66, 71 – A2176
- 5G bands: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 20, 25, 28, 38, 40, 41, 66, 71, 77, 78, 79, 260, 261 Sub6/mmWave – A2176
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G, EV-DO Rev.A 3.1 Mbps
- Announced: 2020, October 13
- Status: Exp. release 2020, October 23
- Dimensions: 146.7 x 71.5 x 7.4 mm (5.78 x 2.81 x 0.29 in)
- Weight: 164 g (5.78 oz)
- Build: Glass front (Gorilla Glass), glass back (Gorilla Glass), aluminum frame
- Colors Black, White, Red, Green, Blue
- SIM: Single SIM (Nano-SIM and/or eSIM) or Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by) – for China
- IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 6m for 30 mins)
- Apple Pay (Visa, MasterCard, AMEX certified)
- Type: Super Retina XDR OLED, HDR10, 625 nits (typ), 1200 nits (peak)
- Size: 6.1 inches, 90.2 cm2 (~86.0% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1170 x 2532 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~460 ppi density)
- Protection: Scratch-resistant glass, oleophobic coating
- Dolby Vision
- Wide color gamut
- iOS 14
- Chipset: Apple A14 Bionic (5 nm)
- CPU: Hexa-core
- GPU: Apple GPU (4-core graphics)
- Internal Storage: 64GB, 128GB, 256GB
- Memory Card slot: No
- Main Camera: Dual
- 12 MP, f/1.6, 26mm (wide), 1.4Âµm, dual pixel PDAF, OIS
- 12 MP, f/2.4, 120Ëš, 13mm (ultrawide), 1/3.6″
- Features: Quad-LED dual-tone flash, HDR (photo/panorama)
- Video: 4K@24/30/60fps, 1080p@30/60/120/240fps, HDR, Dolby Vision HDR (up to 30fps), stereo sound rec.
- Selfie Camera: Dual
- 12 MP, f/2.2, 23mm (wide), 1/3.6″
- SL 3D, (depth/biometrics sensor)
- Features: HDR
- Video: 4K@24/30/60fps, 1080p@30/60/120fps, gyro-EIS
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, QZSS
- NFC: Yes
- USB: Lightning, USB 2.0
- Sensors: Face ID, accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
- Siri natural language commands and dictation
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Ion, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 18W, 50% in 30 min (advertised)
- USB Power Delivery 2.0
- Qi fast wireless charging 15W
Models: A2399, A2176, A2398, A2400, A2399
Pricing and Availability
Pre-orders for the iPhone 12 is expected to open on October 16 with shipments beginning on October 23, starting at $799.