Apple has finally join the 5G gang – all four new models feature both the sub-6 flavor of 5G as well as mmWave. The latter doubles the peak download speeds (up to 4.0 Gbps), but those are limited to Verizon in the US for now.
Apple iPhone 12 Pro
The iPhone 12 Pro models come in 6.1-inch OLED display with 60Hz – the high refresh rate update will have to wait for next year. Also, the notch lives on, Apple’s commitment to Face ID has not wavered in the wake of in-display fingerprint readers.
The new displays have slightly higher resolution than its predecessors – 1,170 x 2,532 px. The peak brightness remains at the impressive 1,200 nits.
To keep the display safe, Apple once again partnered with Corning to create the Ceramic Shield material. This has 4x the drop resistance of previous the glass.
The company also updated the design language of its phones, bringing it closer to the iPad Pros. This means that the sides are squared off, echoing the glory days for the iPhone 4. As before, the chassis is made from stainless steel. Pacific Blue is the new hero color alongside classics such as Gold, Gray and Silver.
The new generation has best-in-class water resistance, being able to dive down to 6 meters underwater for an hour. The 2019 generation could only go down to 4 meters.
As per cameras, the iPhone 12 Pro gets the brighter lens, f/1.6, but keeps the old sensor with lens rather than sensor stabilization. That sensor still gets 27% more light. It also gets the old telephoto camera, with an f/2.0 lens with 52 mm focal length (meaning 2x magnification over the main cam) and, again, classic OIS.
Now all cameras support Night mode, including the selfie camera and ultra wide (the 11 Pro only had it on the main cam). This is in part thanks to the new chipset does have more number-crunching power, but we’ll get to that.
The ultra wide cam is unchanged with an f/2.4 lens with 120° field of view (13 mm focal length).
This year the iPhone Pros adopt the LiDAR system of the iPad Pros. This enables Night mode portraits. This also reduces the time to get an autofocus lock in the dark by the impressive 6 times.
The iPhone 12 Pro are the only phones on the market to record Dolby Vision video. The faster chipset color-grades every frame of 10-bit video for best quality. The new ProRAW feature records all the data you expect from a RAW format while also saving the image processing decisions that the phone made on the spot, making quick touch ups faster as you have a solid base to work from.
The new iPhones are smart about how they use their new 5G connectivity. When they don’t need the extra speed, the Smart Data mode switches to 4G automatically to preserve battery.
The big innovation in battery charging is an old one – the MagSafe that you loved on MacBooks is back. This time it’s used for wireless charging and it delivers 15W of power (up from 7.5W for regular Qi charge). Also, this uses magnets to grab onto a snap-on wireless charging. This also enables MagSafe accessories, which uses the magnetic holding power to keep them semi-permanently attached.
Apple A14 Bionic is at the heart of the iPhone 12 Pro duo – the first 5nm chipset in the world, featuring a whopping 11.8 billion transistors, 40% more than the A13. It features 2 big CPU cores and 4 small cores, which together deliver a 50% higher performance than its predecessor. Similarly, the 4-core GPU is good for a 50% increase over last year’s iPhone. Machine learning has seen a 70% increase in performance as well to handle the ever-growing applications of AI.
Besides the zoom cam, another reason to buy into the Pro models is more storage. Apple doubled the base storage to 128GB, with 256GB and 512GB upgrade options.
iPhone 12 Pro Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- CDMA 800 / 1900
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G bands: LTE
- 5G bands: SA/NSA/Sub6/mmWave
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A 5G, EV-DO Rev.A 3.1 Mbps
- Announced: 2020, October 13
- Status: Exp. release 2020, October 23
- Dimensions: 146.7 x 71.5 x 7.4 mm (5.78 x 2.81 x 0.29 in)
- Weight: 189 g (6.67 oz)
- Build: Glass front (Gorilla Glass), glass back (Gorilla Glass), stainless steel frame
- Colors: Silver, Graphite, Gold, Pacific Blue
- SIM: Single SIM (Nano-SIM and/or eSIM)
- IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 6m for 30 mins)
- Apple Pay (Visa, MasterCard, AMEX certified)
- Type: Super Retina XDR OLED, HDR10+, 800 nits (typ), 1200 nits (peak)
- Size: 6.1 inches, 90.2 cm2 (~86.0% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1170 x 2532 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~460 ppi density)
- Protection: Scratch-resistant glass, oleophobic coating
- Dolby Vision
- Wide color gamut
- iOS 14
- Chipset: Apple A14 Bionic (5nm)
- CPU: Hexa-core
- GPU: Apple GPU (4-core graphics)
- Internal Storage: 128GB, 256GB, 512GB
- Memory Card slot: No
- Main Camera: Quad
- 12 MP, f/1.6, 26mm (wide), 1.7µm, dual pixel PDAF, OIS
- 12 MP, f/2.0, 52mm (telephoto), 1/3.4″, 1.0µm, PDAF, OIS, 2x optical zoom
- 12 MP, f/2.4, 120˚, 13mm (ultrawide)
- TOF 3D LiDAR scanner (depth)
- Features: Quad-LED dual-tone flash, HDR (photo/panorama)
- Video: [email protected]/30/60fps, [email protected]/60/120/240fps, Dolby Vision HDR, stereo sound rec.
- Selfie Camera: Dual
- 12 MP, f/2.2, 23mm (wide)
- SL 3D, (depth/biometrics sensor)
- Features: HDR
- Video: [email protected]/30/60fps, [email protected]/60/120fps, gyro-EIS
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, QZSS
- NFC: Yes
- USB: Lightning, USB 2.0
- Sensors: Face ID, accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
- Siri natural language commands and dictation
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Ion, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 18W
- USB Power Delivery 2.0
- Qi fast wireless charging 15
iPhone 12 Pro Price and Availability
The phone starts at $1,000 and will be up on pre-order this Friday and available next week.