As Apple finally enters the 5G era with its new iteration of smartphones, the iPhone 12 mini is the smallest and lightest 5G phone in the series.
The iPhone 12 mini is built around a a 5.4-inch screen, making it larger display than the 4.7-inch screen found on this yearâ€™s iPhone SE into an iPhone 12 mini handset thatâ€™s smaller overall.
The handset is powered by the Appleâ€™s A14 Bionic, a 5nm chip with better energy efficiency and performance than the A13. It includes a six-core CPU (two high and four low) that Apple claims is 50 percent faster than the A13 chip. It also includes a four-core GPU, which Apple claims will enable â€œconsole-quality games.â€
The iPhone 12 mini has flat aluminum sides that now match the iPad Pro and iPad Air (and are similar to the iPhone 4 from 10 years ago).
The iPhone 12 mini comes with 5G band, will switch to LTE whenever you donâ€™t need 5G speeds, and then will return back to 5G connectivity when these speeds are required â€“ such as when you are streaming content.
The smartphone also includes support for HDR 10 and Dolby Vision, and the iPhone 12 Mini is protected by a new ceramic shield material, which Apple said dramatically improves the deviceâ€™s toughness.
In terms of its camera, the iPhone 12 Mini uses a dual-camera system, with a 12MP ultra-wide camera and a new 12MP wide camera, which has a f/1.6 aperture.
iPhone 12 Mini Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2 (dual-SIM) – for China
- CDMA 800 / 1900
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 46, 48, 66, 71 – A2172
- 5G bands: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 20, 25, 28, 38, 40, 41, 66, 71, 77, 78, 79, 260, 261 Sub6/mmWave – A2172
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G, EV-DO Rev.A 3.1 Mbps
- Announced: 2020, October 13
- Status: Exp. release 2020, November 13
- Dimensions: 131.5 x 64.2 x 7.4 mm (5.18 x 2.53 x 0.29 in)
- Weight: 135 g (4.76 oz)
- Build: Glass front (Gorilla Glass), glass back (Gorilla Glass), aluminum frame
- Colors Black, White, Red, Green, Blue
- SIM: Single SIM (Nano-SIM and/or eSIM) or Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by) – for China
- IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 6m for 30 mins)
- Apple Pay (Visa, MasterCard, AMEX certified)
- Type: Super Retina XDR OLED, HDR10, 625 nits (typ), 1200 nits (peak)
- Size: 5.4 inches, 71.9 cm2 (~85.1% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~476 ppi density)
- Protection: Scratch-resistant glass, oleophobic coating
- Dolby Vision
- Wide color gamut
- iOS 14
- Chipset: Apple A14 Bionic (5 nm)
- CPU: Hexa-core
- GPU: Apple GPU (4-core graphics)
- Internal Storage: 64GB, 128GB, 256GB
- Memory Card slot: No
- Main Camera: Dual
- 12 MP, f/1.6, 26mm (wide), 1.4Âµm, dual pixel PDAF, OIS
- 12 MP, f/2.4, 120Ëš, 13mm (ultrawide), 1/3.6″
- Features: Quad-LED dual-tone flash, HDR (photo/panorama)
- Video: 4K@24/30/60fps, 1080p@30/60/120/240fps, HDR, Dolby Vision HDR (up to 30fps), stereo sound rec.
- Selfie Camera: Dual
- 12 MP, f/2.2, 23mm (wide), 1/3.6″
- SL 3D, (depth/biometrics sensor)
- Features: HDR
- Video: 4K@24/30/60fps, 1080p@30/60/120fps, gyro-EIS
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, QZSS
- NFC: Yes
- USB: Lightning, USB 2.0
- Sensors: Face ID, accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
- Siri natural language commands and dictation
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Ion, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 18W, 50% in 30 min (advertised)
- USB Power Delivery 2.0
- Qi fast wireless charging 15W
Models: A2403, A2172, A2402, A2404
Price and Availability
Appleâ€™s iPhone 12 mini is priced starting at $699 and will be available in five color options: blue, green, black, white, and red. Pre-orders for the iPhone 12 mini starts on November 6.