The first Samsung Galaxy M-series device of 2020 is out – meet the Galaxy M31. The device is built on the last year’s M30 and M30s with much improved camera department and Android 10 with OneUI 2 out the box while retaining its massive 6,000 mAh battery.
The Samsung Galaxy M31 still maintains the 6.4-inch FHD+ SuperAMOLED display on the M30 and M30s. It boasts a 19.5:9 aspect ratio and a U-shaped waterdrop notch for the 16MP selfie cam.
Going around the polycarbonate back we find the new four-camera array. The main shooter has a large 64MP sensor with Samsung’s Tetracell pixel binning which effectively outputs 16MP shots. Next up is the 8MP ultrawide cam while the other two shooters are 5MP macro and depth sensor. The back also houses the capacitive fingerprint scanner.
The phone is powered by the Exynos 9611 chipset which is coupled with 6GB of RAM and 64GB or 128GB UFS 2.1 storage which is expandable via the microSD card slot.
The Galaxy M31 boots Samsung One UI 2 on top of Android 10. The generous 6,000 mAh battery can charge at up to 15W over the USB-C port – hardly the fastest around, but not too bad. Other highlights include a 3.5mm headphone jack, FM radio support and Bluetooth 5.0.
Samsung Galaxy M31 Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE (unspecified)
- Speed: HSPA, LTE-A
- Announced: 2020, February 25
- Status: Coming soon. Exp. release 2020, March 5
- Dimensions: mm
- Weight: g
- Build: Glass front, plastic back, plastic frame
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Colours: Ocean Blue, Space Black
- Type: Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 6.4 inches, 96.7 cm2
- Resolution: 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~411 ppi density)
- Android 10.0; One UI 2.0
- Chipset: Exynos 9611 (10nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (4×2.3 GHz Cortex-A73 & 4×1.7 GHz Cortex-A53)
- GPU: Mali-G72 MP3
- Storage: 64GB 6GB RAM, 128GB 6GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: microSDXC (uses shared SIM slot)
- UFS 2.1
- Main Camera: Triple
- 64 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/1.72″, 0.8µm, PDAF
- 8 MP, f/2.2, 12mm (ultrawide), 1/4.0″, 1.12µm
- 5 MP, f/2.2, 25mm (macro), 1/5.0″, 1.12µm
- 5 MP, f/2.2, (depth)
- Features: LED flash, panorama, HDR
- Video: 2160p@30fps, [email protected], gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 32 MP, f/2.0, 26mm (wide), 1/2.8″, 0.8µm
- Features: HDR
- Video: [email protected]
- Radio: FM radio, RDS, recording
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
- USB: 2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- Sensors: Fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Po 6000 mAh battery
- Charging: Fast battery charging 15W
Samsung Galaxy M31 Price and Availability
The Galaxy M31 has a price tag starting at;
- INR 14,999 ($208) for the base 4/64 version
- INR 15,999 ($222) for the 6/128 variant.
Sales in India are starting on March 5.