Vivo has just unveiled three new highly anticipated devices in a launch event held today. One of the models includes the Vivo X Fold, which is the company’s first foldable smartphone that has apparently been in development for four years now.
The newly launched Vivo X Fold adopts an inward folding design. In other words, the device’s primary display is hidden when the smartphone is in its folded state. Although, users then have access to the smaller external display in this mode. The rear panel features a large rectangular island module that houses a circular camera sensor setup and other necessary sensors like the LED flash. The front of the device features a punch hole cutout along with curved edges. Interestingly, the device also features two ultrasonic fingerprint scanners as well as an alert slider on the side.
The brand placed an emphasis on the hinge of its first foldable handset, which comes with an aerospace grade wing design. In the Rheinland folding test, the device was folded 300,000 times overall to check its durability. Furthermore, even if the user folds the device 80 times a day, the folding mechanism will still remain functional over the course of 10 years. Since it is the first model of its kind from the brand, it is not surprising that Vivo made no compromises on its build quality.
Talking about the display, the Vivo X Fold sports a large 8.03 inch E5 LTPO OLED 3.0 display with UTG that has a 120Hz refresh rate, 2K resolution, and a 4:3.5 aspect ratio. The screen also supports HDR10+ and comes with a 113 percent DCI P3 color gamut. On the other hand, the secondary screen is a 6.53 inch E5 OLED panel that has a Full HD+ resolution, 120Hz refresh rate, HDR10+ support, 100 percent DCI P3 color gamut, and 21:9 aspect ratio as well. Notably, both the external and internal display features a punch hole cutout. Notably, the smartphone’s display also received A+ rating from DisplayMate.
Under the hood, the first foldable smartphone from the Chinese smartphone maker runs on a custom made Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 SPU and the Adreno 730 for graphics. To put things simply, the custom SPU is basically to enhance the security and privacy of the smartphone on a chip level. Additionally, this flagship grade SoC is paired with UFS 3.1 internal storage and LPDDR5 RAM.
Storage configurations include 12GB of RAM that will be paired with either 256GB or 512GB of internal storage. The Vivo X Fold will run on the Android 12 operating system with the company’s custom UI on top. The handset is powered by a large 4,600mAh battery pack that supports up to 66W fast charging and 50W wireless charging. The 66W fast charging can top up the device to full in just 37 minutes.
For photography, the device features a quad camera setup on the rear that includes Zeiss lens and T* coating. The primary camera is a Samsung GN5 50 megapixel sensor that has an f/1.75 aperture and OIS support, which is coupled with a 48 megapixel ultra wide angle lens that has an f/2.2 aperture, a 12 megapixel portrait lens (47mm focal length), and finally, a 5 megapixel periscopic telephoto lens that offers up to 5x optical zoom and up to 60x digital zoom. On the front, the punch hole selfie camera on the outer and inner display is a 16 megapixel sensor.
Vivo X Fold Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- CDMA BC0/BC1
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- CDMA2000 BC0/BC1
- 4G bands:
- FDD-LTE: B1/B2/B3/B4/B5/B7/B8/B12/B17/B18/B19/B20/B25/B26/B28/B32/B66
- TD-LTE: B34/B38/B39/B40/B41/B42/B48
- 5G bands:
- SA n1/n2/n3/n5/n7/n8/n12/n20/n28/n38/n40/n41/n66/n77/n78/n79
- NSA n1/n3/n5/n7/n8/n20/n28/n38/n40/n41/n77/n78/n79
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G
- Announced: 2022, April 11
- Status: Exp. release 2022, April
- Unfolded: 162 x 144.9 x 6.3 mm
- Folded: 162 x 74.5 x 14.6 mm
- Weight: 311 g (10.97 oz)
- Colors: Black, Blue
- SIM: Nano-SIM
- Type: Foldable LTPO AMOLED, 120Hz, HDR10+
- Size: 8.03 inches, 206.5 cm2 (~88.0% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1916 x 2160 pixels (~360 ppi density)
- Cover display: AMOLED, 120Hz, 6.53 inches, 1080 x 2520 pixels, 21:9 ratio
- Android 12, Origin OS Ocean
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8450 Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 (4 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×3.00 GHz Cortex-X2 & 3×2.50 GHz Cortex-A710 & 4×1.80 GHz Cortex-A510)
- GPU: Adreno 730
- Storage: 256GB 12GB RAM, 512GB 12GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: No
- UFS 3.1
- Main Camera: Quad
- 50 MP, f/1.8, (wide), 1/1.57″, 1.0µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, Laser AF, OIS
- 8 MP, f/3.4, (periscope telephoto), PDAF, OIS, 5x optical zoom
- 12 MP, f/2.0, 47mm (telephoto), 1/3.6″, 1.0µm, PDAF, 2x optical zoom
- 48 MP, f/2.2, 114˚ (ultrawide)
- Features: Zeiss optics, Zeiss T* lens coating, LED flash, panorama
- Video: 8K, 4K@30/60fps, 1080p@30/60/240fps, gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 16 MP, f/2.5, (wide)
- Features: HDR
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- 24-bit/192kHz audio
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.2, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS, NavIC
- NFC: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 4600 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 66W, 100% in 37 min (advertised)
- Fast wireless charging 50W
- Reverse wireless charging 10W
Vivo X Fold Price and Availability
The Vivo X Fold will be available in three different color options. This includes Blue, Black, and Gray color variants. The device is available in multiple configurations, so here are the prices:
- 12GB + 256GB – 8,999 Yuan (roughly 1,413 US Dollars)
- 12GB + 512GB – 9,999 Yuan (roughly 1,570 US Dollars)
The device will go on sale starting on 22nd April 2022 in China on major e-commerce websites, with pre-orders starting from today.