As scheduled, Samsung unveiled the Galaxy S23 series yesterday at the first Galaxy Unpacked event of 2023. Just like the last few years, the latest-gen Galaxy S family consists of three smartphones, such as Galaxy S23, Galaxy S23 Plus, and Galaxy S23 Ultra.
The Galaxy S23 and the Galaxy S23 Plus comes in a new design. However, the specs are somewhat the same as the last generation phones (Galaxy S22 and Galaxy S22 Plus).
Both models are almost identical to each with a few differences like screen and battery capacity. They are also comparatively cheaper than the Ultra. Let’s take a look at what the standard Samsung Galaxy S23 has to offer.
Samsung Galaxy S23 Launched
The Galaxy S23 flaunts a Dynamic AMOLED 2X display with a resolution of 2340 x 1080 pixels (FHD+), a 48-120Hz refresh rate, and a 240Hz touch sampling rate. The centered punch-hole screen is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass Victus 2 and can play HDR10+ content.
The device has a 6.1 inches display panel that can reach a peak brightness of up to 1,750 nits.
The handset is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 for Galaxy chipset. This silicon is paired with LPDDR5x RAM and UFS 4.0 storage (UFS 3.1 for the 128GB variant).
On the software front, it boots One UI 5.1 based on Android 13. The smartphone comes with multiple connectivity options, such as 5G, WiFi 6E, Bluetooth 5.3, GNSS, NFC, UWB (only Plus version), and USB 3.2 (Type-C).
The device arrives with a triple camera system on the back and a 12MP front-facing camera. The rear camera setup comprises an OIS-assisted 50MP main sensor, a 12MP ultra-wide unit with auto-focus support, and a 12MP telephoto shooter with a 3x optical zoom lens and OIS.
The phone is IP68-rated for dust and water resistance and also features Dolby Atmos-supported dual stereo speakers and an ultrasonic fingerprint sensor.
The Galaxy S23 is backed by a 3,900mAh battery which supports a 25W wired charging and 15W wireless charging.
Samsung Galaxy S23 Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2 (Dual SIM model only)
- CDMA 800 / 1900 & TD-SCDMA
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G bands: LTE
- 5G bands:
- SA/NSA/Sub6 – International
- SA/NSA/Sub6/mmWave – USA
- Speed: HSPA, LTE, 5G
- Announced: 2023, February 01
- Status: Exp. release 2023, February 17
- Dimensions: 146.3 x 70.9 x 7.6 mm (5.76 x 2.79 x 0.30 in)
- Weight: 168 g (5.93 oz)
- Build: Glass front (Gorilla Glass Victus 2), glass back (Gorilla Glass Victus 2), aluminum frame
- Colors: Phantom Black, Cream, Green, Lavender
- SIM: Nano-SIM and eSIM or Dual SIM (2 Nano-SIMs and eSIM, dual stand-by)
- IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 1.5m for 30 mins)
- Armor aluminum frame with tougher drop and scratch resistance (advertised)
- Type: Dynamic AMOLED 2X, 120Hz, HDR10+
- Size: 6.1 inches, 91.3 cm2 (~88.1% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~422 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass Victus 2
- Always-on display
- Android 13, One UI 5.1
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8550-AC Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 (4 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×3.36 GHz Cortex-X3 & 2×2.8 GHz Cortex-A715 & 2×2.8 GHz Cortex-A710 & 3×2.0 GHz Cortex-A510)
- GPU: Adreno 740
- Memory Card slot: No
- Internal: 128GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM, 512GB 8GB RAM
- UFS 3.1 – 128GB only
- UFS 4.0
- Main Camera: Triple
- 50 MP, f/1.8, 24mm (wide), 1/1.56″, 1.0µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS
- 10 MP, f/2.4, 70mm (telephoto), 1/3.94″, 1.0µm, PDAF, 3x optical zoom
- 12 MP, f/2.2, 13mm, 120˚ (ultrawide), 1/2.55″ 1.4µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, Super Steady video
- Features: LED flash, auto-HDR, panorama
- Video: 8K@24/30fps, 4K@30/60fps, 1080p@30/60/240fps, 720p@960fps, HDR10+, stereo sound rec., gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 12 MP, f/2.2, 26mm (wide), Dual Pixel PDAF
- Features: Dual video call, Auto-HDR, HDR10+
- Video: 4K@30/60fps, 1080p@30fps
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- 32-bit/384kHz audio
- Tuned by AKG
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6e, tri-band, Wi-Fi Direct
- Bluetooth: 5.3, A2DP, LE
- Positioning: GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO
- NFC: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 3.2, OTG
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, ultrasonic), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
- Samsung DeX, Samsung Wireless DeX (desktop experience support)
- Bixby natural language commands and dictation
- Samsung Pay (Visa, MasterCard certified)
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Ion 3900 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: 25W wired, PD3.0, 50% in 30 min (advertised)
- 10W wireless (Qi/PMA)
- 5W reverse wireless
- Models: SM-S911B, SM-S911B/DS, SM-S911U, SM-S911U1, SM-S911W, SM-S911N, SM-S9110, SM-S911E, SM-S911E/DS
Samsung Galaxy S23 Price and Availability
In the US, the Galaxy S23 starts at $999.99. It comes in 8GB + 128GB, 8GB + 256GB, and 8GB + 512GB memory configurations.
The handset is available in either Phantom Black, Green, Cream, or Lavender color options. It is up for pre-order and will be available for purchase from February 17.