TCL has added three new smartphones to its long list of 30 series – 30, 30+ and the TCL 30 5G. The three smartphones are pretty similar to each other and more like variations on a theme than completely separate models. The TCL 30 5G clearly stands out with next-gen connectivity, but it also packs a more capable chipset.
TCL 30 5G
The TCL 30 5G is powered by the Dimensity 700, a 7nm chipset with two Cortex-A76 cores (2.2 GHz), six A55s (2.0 GHz), a Mali-G57 MC2 GPU and a 5G modem capable of delivering speeds up to 2.77 Gbps.
The chip is paired with 4GB of RAM and 64GB or 128GB storage, plus a microSD slot for up to 1TB more (there are single and dual-SIM versions of the phone, the microSD slot is dedicated). The phone launches with Android 12 with TCL UI 4.0 out of the box and TCL will soon announce its plans for software support.
Like its two siblings, the phone has a 6.7” AMOLED display (60 Hz) with 1,080 x 2,400 px resolution (20:9). It has 100% coverage of the NTSC color space and peaks at 900 nits of brightness. There is a fingerprint reader on the side or you could use the face unlock feature.
Another shared feature is the camera, starring a 50MP main module with a 1/2.76” sensor (0.64µm pixels) and an f/1.8 aperture. This camera can record 1080p video at 30 fps. Joining it is a 13MP selfie camera (1/3”, 1.12µm, f/2.3) with a surprisingly wide field of view – 96°. There are two more 2MP cams on the back, a macro and a depth sensor.
There are a couple variants of the phone with support for different 4G and 5G bands (1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 40, 41, 78 and 2, 5, 7, 25, 28, 38, 41, 66, 71, 77, 78). Other wireless features include VoLTE, VoWiFi, Wi-Fi 5 (ac), Bluetooth 5.1 and NFC. The USB-C port is wired for USB 2.0 speeds.
More importantly, it charges the 5,010 mAh battery at 18W (9V, 2A). The phone measures 7.74 mm thick and weighs 184g.
TCL 30 5G Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2 (dual-SIM)
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 26, 28, 32, 38, 40, 41
- 5G bands: 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 40, 41, 78 SA/NSA
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/11.5 Mbps, LTE Cat13 390/150 Mbps, 5G
- Announced: 2022, February 27
- Status: Exp. release 2022, April
- Dimensions: 164.5 x 75.2 x 7.7 mm (6.48 x 2.96 x 0.30 in)
- Weight: 184 g (6.49 oz)
- Build: Glass front, plastic frame, plastic back
- Colors: Tech Black, Dreamy Blue
- SIM: Single SIM (Nano-SIM) or Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: AMOLED, 650 nits (typ), 900 nits (peak)
- Size: 6.7 inches, 108.4 cm2 (~87.6% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~393 ppi density)
- Android 12, TCL UI 4.0
- Chipset: MediaTek MT6833 Dimensity 700 5G (7 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (2×2.2 GHz Cortex-A76 & 6×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G57 MC2
- Storage: 64GB 4GB RAM, 128GB 4GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: microSDXC (dedicated slot)
- eMMC 5.1
- Main Camera: Triple
- 50 MP, f/1.8, 28mm (wide), 1/2.76″, 0.64µm, PDAF
- 2 MP, f/2.4, (macro)
- 2 MP, f/2.4, (depth)
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Selfie Camera: Single – 13 MP, f/2.3, 19mm (ultrawide), 1/3″, 1.12µm
- Features: HDR
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with dual speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.1, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- NFC: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 2.0
- Sensors: Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, proximity, compass
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 5010 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 18W
TCL 30 5G Price and Availability
The TCL 30 5G starts at €250 for the 4/64 GB model (the 128 GB option will be €270). Starting in April it will be available in Europe and select other regions. You can have one in Dreamy Blue or Tech Black