HMD tried out a stunt and that didn’t quite pay off with the 9 PureView, but now the company is now returning to form with a formula it knows well – meet the new Nokia 8.3 5G. Placed in the “flagship killer” segment its claims to fame are a great big display, a quad camera with ZEISS certification and unrivalled 5G support.
According to the Finnish company, the Nokia 8.3 5G is all about futureproofing as it supports more 5G bands than even the priciest flagship out there, which will make it compatible with all of the existing and upcoming 5G networks around the globe.
Under the hood, sits a Snapdragon 765G chipset with 6GB or 8GB of RAM and an integrated 5G modem. It runs stock Android 10 and is part of the Android One program so you’re guaranteed 2 years of upgrades and 3 years of monthly security updates. Storage is either 64GB or 128GB and either way you get a microSD slot for expanding it further.
The phone features a 6.81-inch Puredisplay of FullHD+ resolution. It’s an HDR panel with Adaptive display support that adjusts contrast depending on how much light is around you. Inside the punch hole in its upper left corner sits a 24MP front-facing camera with ZEISS optics.
The ZEISS quad camera on the back has a 64MP main sensor and a 12MP ultrawide module designed with a focus on video recording and low-light performance. In binned mode its pixels reach 2.8µm in size and it also gets ZEISS cinematic effect that gives you more control over the video capture. OZO audio and action cam mode complete the camcorder arsenal.
The other two modules are less exciting – a depth sensor and a dedicated macro camera.
The phone is powered by a 4,500mAh battery that can be charged at up to 18W speeds.
Nokia 8.3 5G Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE
- 5G bands: yes
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G
- Announced: 2020, March 19
- Status: Coming soon. Exp. release 2020, Q2
- Dimensions: 171.9 x 78.6 x 9 mm (6.77 x 3.09 x 0.35 in)
- Weight: 220 g (7.76 oz)
- Colours: Polar Night
- SIM: Single SIM (Nano-SIM) or Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 6.81 inches, 112.0 cm2 (~82.9% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~386 ppi density)
- Android 10.0, Android One
- Chipset: Qualcomm SDM765 Snapdragon 765G (7 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.4 GHz Kryo 475 Prime & 1×2.2 GHz Kryo 475 Gold & 6×1.8 GHz Kryo 475 Silver)
- GPU: Adreno 620
- Storage: 64GB 6GB RAM, 128GB 8GB
- Memory Card slot: microSDXC
- Main Camera: Quad
- 64 MP, (wide)
- 12 MP, (ultrawide)
- 2 MP, (macro)
- 2 MP, (depth)
- Features: Zeiss optics, Dual-LED flash, panorama, HDR
- Video: [email protected], [email protected], gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 24 MP, (wide)
- Features: Zeiss optics, HDR
- Video: [email protected]
- Radio: FM Radio
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, EDR, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
- USB: Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- Sensors: Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Po 4500 mAh battery
- Charging: Fast charging 18W
Nokia 8.3 5G Price and Availability
The Nokia 8.3 5G will be available in a single Polar night colour option inspired by the northern lights. The phone is expected to be available in summer starting at €599.