After a three-year gap, Xiaomi has finally unveiled the Mi Pad 5 series in China. The new tablet series comprises the Xiaomi Mi Pad 5 and the high-end Mi Pad 5 Pro which equally has a 5G version. The new slate boasts several high-end features including 5G connectivity on the Pad 5 Pro which places it on a good pedestal to take on the likes of iPad Pro. The features also give us assurances that the premium slate was worth the long wait.
In terms of the specifications, the Mi Pad 5 series is equipped with a large 11-inch LCD screen with a resolution of 2560X1600 pixels, a high refresh rate of 120Hz, a PPI of up to 275, and a contrast ratio of 1500:1. The slate is also said to support hardware anti-blue light and true color display functions
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5
The Mi Pad 5 is equipped with a single 13-megapixel rear camera and an 8-megapixel selfie shooter that also supports Face unlock.
In terms of battery life, the vanilla Pad 5 packs an 8720mAh battery with 33W fast charging support.
MIUI For Pad
Xiaomi is introducing a new MIUI For Pad operating system for the Mi Pad 5. This mimics what Apple does with the iOS for Pads which it christened iPadOS. The MIUI For Pad brings several customizations onboard the tablet, making it easy to use various apps, giving users a near-PC level experience. The OS is said to be adapted to more than 300 mainstream applications at present.
In addition, MIUI for Pad also supports custom input methods, split screens, small windows, parallel windows, and other functions, bringing a more convenient entertainment, office, and leisure experience.
Xiaomi also introduced a stylus pen and keyboard-style double-sided protective case alongside the tablet. The Stylus uses a two-button design of which the main button supports quick notes and switching brushes while the secondary button supports long-pressing to take screenshots and switching colors. At the same time, it supports PPT page turning operation.
To use it, you only need to put the stylus pen on the side of the Mi Pad 5 Pro to automatically pair. The stylus can be fully charged in 18 minutes and a full charge can be used to write continuously for 8 hours.
On its part, the keyboard-style double-sided protective case has an independent ESC button that supports canceling operations and exiting the full-screen state.
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5 Specifications
- No cellular connectivity
- Announced: 2021, August
- Status: Available. Released 2021, August
- Dimensions: 254.7 x 166.3 x 6.9 mm (10.03 x 6.55 x 0.27 in)
- Weight: 511 g (1.13 lb)
- Build: Glass front, aluminum back, aluminum frame
- Colors: Black, White, Green
- SIM: No
- Stylus support (magnetic)
- Keyboard support (magnetic)
- Type: IPS LCD, 1B colors, 120Hz, HDR10, Dolby Vision
- Size: 11.0 inches, 350.9 cm2 (~82.8% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1600 x 2560 pixels, 16:10 ratio (~274 ppi density)
- Wide color gamut
- Android 11, MIUI 12.5
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 860 (7 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.96 GHz Kryo 485 Gold & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 485 Gold & 4×1.78 GHz Kryo 485 Silver)
- GPU: Adreno 640
- Storage: 128GB 6GB RAM, 256GB 6GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: No
- UFS 3.1
- Main Camera: Single – 13 MP, f/2.0
- Features: Panorama, HDR
- Video: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30fps
- Selfie Camera: Single – 8 MP, f/2.0
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers (4 speakers)
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS: No
- NFC: No
- USB: USB Type-C
- Sensors: Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 8720 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 33W
- Power Delivery 3.0
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5 Price and Availability
Here are the Xiaomi Mi Pad 5 Pricing:
- 6+128GB – 1999 yuan (~$308)
- 6+256GB – 2299 yuan (~$355)
The Mi Pad 5 is available in three colors: Black, dazzling white, and dark green.