Alongside the announcement the Mi Mix 4 with an under-display selfie camera, Xiaomi has also unveiled the much-talked Mi Pad 5 tablet series in China today. The company has stepped foot back into the tablet market after a long time. The Mi Pad 5 series includes two variants, including the standard Mi Pad 5 and Mi Pad 5 Pro.
Both the Mi Pad 5 variants come with Snapdragon chipsets, high refresh rate displays, fast-charging support, and more. So without further ado, here are the key specs and features of the Mi Pad 5 and Mi Pad 5 Pro.
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5 Pro
The Mi Pad 5 Pro comes with the exact same design as the vanilla version. They look exactly like the Apple iPad Pro, especially when you take the keyboard case and stylus into account (more of these below). These tablets from Xiaomi are 6.86mm in thickness and weigh ~515 grams.
The similarities don’t end there. Both the Mi Pad 5 and Mi Pad 5 Pro feature the same 11-inch 2.5K (WQHD+) LCD display on the front. The panel boasts a resolution of 2560 x 1600p resolution, 120Hz refresh rate, and 120Hz touch sampling rate. The panel here supports a 240Hz stylus sampling rate as well.
Moreover, the display also supports P3 color gamut, Dolby Vision, True Tone (similar to Apple’s iPad), HDR10, a 1500:1 contrast ratio, and more. There’s a same-size bezel that runs around the display and houses an 8MP selfie camera in both models.
Under the hood, the Mi Pad 5 Pro is powered by the Snapdragon 870 SoC which is paired with up to 6GB of LPDDR5 RAM (LPDDR4X on Mi Pad 5) and 256GB of UFS 3.1 storage. However, only one Mi Pad 5 Pro variant, 8GB + 256GB, supports 5G connectivity.
As for the cameras, Mi Pad 5 Pro includes a 13MP primary camera and a 5MP depth sensor. The 5G variant swaps out the 13MP sensor with a 1/1.25-inch 50MP sensor. The tablet offers an eight-speaker surround sound experience (four to handle high frequencies and four for the low and mids) and Dolby Atmos support.
The Pro variant supports Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5.2, and also run MIUI for Pad based on Android 11. It is fueled by a massive 8,600mAh battery with 67W wired fast-charging support via the USB-C port at the bottom.
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5 Pro Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – 5G model only
- CDMA 800 – 5G model only
- 3G bands: HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100 – 5G model only
- CDMA2000 1xEV-DO – 5G model only
- 4G bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 19, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 – 5G model only
- 5G bands: 1, 3, 28, 41, 77, 78 Sub6 – 5G model only
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (CA), 5G
- Announced: 2021, August
- Status: Available. Released 2021, August
- Dimensions: 254.7 x 166.3 x 6.9 mm (10.03 x 6.55 x 0.27 in)
- Weight: 515 g (1.14 lb)
- Build: Glass front, aluminum back, aluminum frame
- Colors: Black, White
- SIM: Nano-SIM
- Stylus support (magnetic)
- Keyboard support (magnetic)
- Type: IPS LCD, 1B colors, 120Hz, HDR10, Dolby Vision
- Size: 11.0 inches, 350.9 cm2 (~82.8% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1600 x 2560 pixels, 16:10 ratio (~274 ppi density)
- Wide color gamut
- Android 11, MIUI 12.5
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8250-AC Snapdragon 870 5G (7 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×3.2 GHz Kryo 585 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 585)
- GPU: Adreno 650
- Storage: 128GB 6GB RAM, 256GB 6GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: No
- UFS 3.1
- Main Camera: Dual
- 50 MP, 1/2.5″, 0.7µm, PDAF – 5G model
- 13 MP, f/2.0, AF – Wi-Fi model
- 5 MP, f/2.4, (depth)
- Features: Panorama, HDR
- Video: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30fps
- Selfie Camera: Single – 8 MP, f/2.0
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers (8 speakers)
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.2, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, QZSS (5G model only)
- NFC: No
- USB: USB Type-C
- Sensors: Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 8600 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 67W
- Quick Charge 4
- Power Delivery 3.0
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5 Pro Price and Availability
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5 Pro Pricing:
- 6+128GB – 2499 yuan (~$385)
- 6+256GB – 2799 yuan (~$432)
- 6+256GB (5G) – 3499 yuan (~$540)
The Mi Pad 5 Pro comes in Black and dazzling white colors, while the 5G version will be available in Deep scalloped color matching.
Mi Pad 5/ Mi Pad 5 Pro: Accessories
Alongside the Mi Pad 5 series, Xiaomi has also launched a couple of accessories to go along with it. This includes the Mi Smart Pen and keyboard case, both of which look and work in a manner similar to Apple’s iPad Pro accessories.
The Mi Smart Pen supports 4096 levels of pressure sensitivity, tilt writing, and quick wireless charging. As you can see in the GIF below, just like the Apple Pencil, you can attach the stylus to the edge of the Mi Pad 5 to charge it. Xiaomi claims that Mi Smart Pen will work for 8 hours on a single charge.
The Smart Pen even supports an iPadOS 15-like Quick Note feature, and comes with 2 buttons – one to change input color and the other to quickly use the eraser. Xiaomi has priced its stylus at CNY 349 (~Rs. 4,000)
The second accessory launched for the Mi Pad 5 series is the keyboard case. It uses a pogo pin interface and magnets to attach to the tablet. Plus, the keyboard case includes 63 keys with 1.2mm key travel for a comfortable typing experience. It supports keyboard shortcuts, is priced at CNY 399 (~Rs. 4,600), and comes in 3 colorways to match the Mi Pad – white, green, and black.