Samsung has launched the Galaxy A72 4G smartphone today, unfortunately, we are yet to get the 5G version. The new phone comes with upgrades such as a high refresh rate, upgrades cameras, an IP-rating, and a bigger battery capacity.
Just as we have seen with a lot of Samsung phones released this year, the Galaxy A72 4G also comes with a display with a centered punch hole. On the back is a camera housing with four sensors and an LED flash. The back of the phone is covered in polycarbonate and one commendable addition is that the Galaxy A72 4G has an IP67 rating making it water (up to 1m for up to 30 minutes) and dust resistant.
The Galaxy A72 4G has a 6.7-inch FHD+ Super AMOLED display with a brightness of up to 800 nits, SGS Eye Comfort Shield, and a 90Hz refresh rate. Samsung doesn’t say if the device has HDR10, so we will assume it doesn’t just like its predecessor.
The phone swaps the Snapdragon 730 processor of the Galaxy A71 for the Snapdragon 720G and it comes with 6GB/8GB of RAM and 128GB or 256GB of storage. A MicroSD card slot will allow you to add up to an extra 1TB of storage.
You get four rear cameras on the Galaxy A72 4G – a 64MP f/1.8 camera with optical image stabilization, a 12MP f/2.2 ultrawide angle camera with a 123° field of view, an 8MP f/2.4 telephoto camera with OIS and 3x optical zoom, and a 5MP f/2.4 macro camera. Samsung says the phone also has 30x Space Zoom. The front-facing camera is a 32MP sensor.
The Galaxy A72 4G has Dolby Atmos stereo speakers, an audio jack, a USB-C, and an in-display fingerprint scanner. Samsung has bumped the battery capacity to 5000mAh and while the phone still supports 25W fast charging like its predecessor, Samsung now ships it with a slower 15W charger which is nothing short of disappointing.
As expected, you get Android 11 pre-installed with Samsung’s One UI 3.0 interface on top.
Samsung Galaxy A72 Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2 (dual-SIM model only)
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE (unspecified)
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A
- Announced: 2021, March 17
- Status: Exp. release 2021, March 26
- Dimensions: 165 x 77.4 x 8.4 mm (6.50 x 3.05 x 0.33 in)
- Weight: 203 g (7.16 oz)
- Colors: Awesome Black, Awesome White, Awesome Violet, Awesome Blue
- SIM: Single SIM (Nano-SIM) or Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- IP67 dust/water resistant (up to 1m for 30 mins)
- Type: Super AMOLED, 90Hz, 800 nits (peak)
- Size: 6.7 inches, 108.4 cm2 (~84.9% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~393 ppi density)
- Protection: Unspecified
- Android 11, One UI 3.1
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM7125 Snapdragon 720G (8 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (2×2.3 GHz Kryo 465 Gold & 6×1.8 GHz Kryo 465 Silver)
- GPU: Adreno 618
- Storage: 128GB 6GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: microSDXC (uses shared SIM slot)
- Main Camera: Quad
- 64 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/1.7X”, 0.8µm, PDAF, OIS
- 8 MP, f/2.4, (telephoto), 1.0µm, PDAF, OIS, 3x optical zoom
- 12 MP, f/2.2, 123˚ (ultrawide), 1.12µm
- 5 MP, f/2.4, (macro)
- Features: LED flash, panorama, HDR
- Video: [email protected], [email protected]/120fps; gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 32 MP, f/2.2, 26mm (wide), 1/2.8″, 0.8µm
- Features: HDR
- Video: [email protected], [email protected]
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 5mm jack: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- NFC: Yes (market/region dependent)
- USB: USB Type-C 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Ion 5000 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 25W
Models: SM-A725F, SM-A725F/DS
Samsung Galaxy A72 4G Price and Availability
The phone will be sold for €450/£420 for the base model with 6GB of RAM and 128GB of storage. There is no price yet for the 8GB RAM + 256GB version. The phone is available in Awesome Black, Awesome Blue, Awesome Violet, and Awesome White.