Samsung has finally unveiled its new folding screen smartphones today. The South Korean tech giant has launched the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4, one of the world’s most-anticipated folding screen smartphones. The brand is a leader in this field and it’s quite interesting to know how it has improved the new version.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4 unveiled
Design & Display
While the thinnest part of the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4 is 14.2 mm, the thickest part is the hinge, 15.8 mm. when unfolded. The thickness is controlled at a mere 6.3 mm. It is still a heavy product, weighing 263 grams.
Both internal and external screens use the Dynamic AMOLED 2X material and both support a 120Hz high refresh rate. The minimum refresh rate of the external screen is 48Hz, but the internal screen can reach as low as 1Hz.
The outer screen is 6.2 inches with a resolution of 2316 x 904 pixels and an aspect ratio of 23:1.98. At the same time, the inner screen is 7.6 inches when expanded. It has a resolution of 2176 x 1812 pixels and an aspect ratio of 21.6:18.
The outer screen and the back cover of the fuselage are covered with Corning Gorilla Victus+ glass. Thus, we are dealing with the world’s strongest folding screen product. Also, due to the screen structure optimization, the durability of the inner screen has been improved. Now, it can effectively resist external impact damage. The frame and hinge cover is made of armored aluminum material. In effect, the whole machine has an IPX8 waterproof rating.
The internal screen has got some multitasking upgrades. The newly designed taskbar layout is similar to that of a traditional PC. So you can easily access frequently used and recently used apps.
There is also a new gesture shortcut split screen. So now, it can open the multitasking window more intuitively. Using gestures, you can switch the app from full-screen mode to pop-up view, or split the screen in two.
The S Pen stylus also comes with optimizations that make multitasking experience even more intuitive. It has a vertical protective case with an exclusive slot for easy use at any time.
On the back of the phone, we can find three camera sensors. The main camera is a 50-megapixel ultra-wide-angle lens. It has a 23% more light input, OIS, 1.0-micron pixels, F/1.8 aperture, PDAF focus, and supports 3x optical zoom as well as 30x Space zoom. The second camera is a wide-angle lens with a 12MP resolution, 1.12 microns, and F/2.2 aperture. Finally, there is a 10MP telephoto lens, coming with OIS, 1.0 microns, F/2.4, and PDAF.
Now, the most interesting part. The top of the inner screen integrates an under-screen camera. The corresponding area adopts a new scattering type sub-pixel arrangement. The camera under the screen has a 4MP resolution and an F/1.8 aperture.
The external screen selfie camera has a 10MP resolution and comes with 1.22 microns and an F/2.2 aperture.
Inside, this amazing phone hosts the Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 processor, 12GB memory, 256GB / 512GB / 1TB storage, and a 4400mAh battery. The latter still supports 25W fast charging. This might sound funny when calling a 25W output power a fast charging solution. But for Samsung, it is. It can charge about 50% of the battery in 30 minutes.
The phone leaves the factory with OneUI 4.1.1 / Android 12L onboard.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4 Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2 (dual-SIM model only)
- CDMA 800 / 1900
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G bands: LTE
- 5G bands: SA/NSA/Sub6/mmWave
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (7CA) Cat20 2000/200 Mbps, 5G
- Announced: 2022, August 10
- Status: Exp. release 2022, August 25
- Unfolded: 155.1 x 130.1 x 6.3 mm
- Folded: 155.1 x 67.1 x 14.2-15.8 mm
- Weight: 263 g (9.28 oz)
- Build: Glass front (Gorilla Glass Victus+) (folded), plastic front (unfolded), glass back (Gorilla Glass Victus+), aluminum frame
- Colors: Graygreen, Phantom Black, Beige, Burgundy
- SIM: Up to two Nano SIM and one eSIM
- IPX8 water resistant (up to 1.5m for 30 mins)
- Armour aluminum frame with tougher drop and scratch resistance (advertised)
- Stylus support
- Type: Foldable Dynamic AMOLED 2X, 120Hz, HDR10+, 1200 nits (peak)
- Size: 7.6 inches, 183.2 cm2 (~90.9% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1812 x 2176 pixels (~373 ppi density)
- Cover display:
- Type: Dynamic AMOLED 2X, 120Hz, Corning Gorilla Glass Victus+
- Size: 6.2 inches, 904 x 2316 pixels, 23.1:9 ratio
- Android 12L, One UI 4.1.1
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8475 Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 (4 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×3.19 GHz Cortex-X2 & 3×2.75 GHz Cortex-A710 & 4×1.80 GHz Cortex-A510)
- GPU: Adreno 670
- Memory Card slot: No
- Internal: 256GB 12GB RAM, 512GB 12GB RAM, 1TB 12GB RAM
- UFS 3.1
- Main Camera: Triple
- 50 MP, f/1.8, 24mm (wide), 1.0µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS
- 10 MP, f/2.4, 67mm (telephoto), 1.0µm, PDAF, OIS, 3x optical zoom
- 12 MP, f/2.2, 123˚, 12mm (ultrawide), 1.12µm
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: 4K@60fps, 1080p@60/240fps (gyro-EIS), 720p@960fps (gyro-EIS), HDR10+
- Selfie Camera: Single – 4 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 2.0µm, under display
- Cover camera:
- 10 MP, f/2.2, 24mm (wide), 1/3″, 1.22µm
- Features: HDR
- Video: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30fps, gyro-EIS
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- 32-bit/384kHz audio
- Tuned by AKG
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6e, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.2, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- NFC: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 3.2, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
- Bixby natural language commands and dictation
- Samsung DeX (desktop experience support)
- Samsung Pay (Visa, MasterCard certified)
- Ultra Wideband (UWB) support
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 4400 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 25W, 50% in 30 min (advertised)
- Fast wireless charging 15W
- Reverse wireless charging 4.5W
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4 Price and Availability
There are three color options: empty mountain green, platinum extract black, and cloud pink gold.
The Galaxy Z Fold4 has launched the Pioneer Program campaign. It will start shipping on August 26. The first buyers will receive a folding Bluetooth keyboard. The price for the 12GB+256GB version is €1,800, for the 12GB+512GB model, it is €1,920, and the 12GB+1TB variant costs €2,160.