Motorola has finally enter the 5G market with two new “edge” phones – named after what the company calls “Endless Edge”, which most people known as the waterfall screen. Both phones share this design, as well as 5G connectivity and a capable triple camera.
Motorola Edge+ (Also Known As Motorola Edge Plus)
The Motorola Edge+ is Moto’s first proper flagship in a while and it makes up for lost time by marking several “firsts” for the brand.
The phone is built around a 6.7-inch HDR10+ AMOLED display with a 90Hz refresh rate – the first Motorola device to have such. The 1080p+ resolution isn’t quite “premium”, but looking at it positively, it uses less energy. A 25MP selfie camera sits in the punch hole in the upper left corner and there is an in-display fingerprint reader hiding behind the display.
The US version of the Edge+ supports mmWave 5G, which promises up to 4Gbps download speeds working on Verizon’s network, the launch partner in the US. This is Moto’s first proper 5G phone (not counting any MotoMod experiments). Global units will get sub-5GHz 5G, mind you.
Another first is the 108MP sensor on the main camera. It sits behind an f/1.8 lens and is optically stabilized. Like the Xiaomi phones (and unlike the Galaxy S20 Ultra), this sensor does 4-in-1 pixel binning to produce 27MP photos.
It is joined by an 8MP telephoto camera that has a 3x optical zoom lens (and OIS too). Rounding off the triple camera setup are the 16MP ultrawide-angle cam (117°), which can also snap macro photos, and a ToF cam. The phone can record 6K videos, which is a bit strange given that the chipset is capable of 8K (the camera should be too).
The Snapdragon 865 is virtually a requirement for a 2020 flagship and on the Motorola Edge+ it comes paired with 12GB of fast LPDDR5 RAM as well as 256GB UFS 3.0 storage.
The phone is powered by a fairly large 5,000mAh battery with 18W fast charging over USB-C. Motorola claims that the battery is big enough for 2 days of use. Wireless charging is supported in both directions – the phone can soak up energy at 15W and then share it with other Qi compatible gadgets at 5W.
Motorola Edge+ Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- CDMA 800 / 1900
- 3G band:
- HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100 – Global
- HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 – Verizon
- CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G bands:
- LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 17(700), 20(800), 25(1900), 26(850), 28(700), 29(700), 30(2300), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500), 42(3500), 46(5200), 66(1700/2100), 71(600) – Global
- LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 17(700), 20(800), 28(700), 46(5200), 48, 66(1700/2100) – Verizon
- 5G bands:
- 5G band 5,41,66,71,77,78 Sub6 – Global
- 5G band 2,5,66,260,261 mmWave/Sub6 – Verizon
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (6CA) Cat20 2000/200 Mbps, 5G
- Announced: 2020, April 22
- Status: Coming soon. Exp. release 2020, May
- Dimensions: 161.1 x 71.4 x 9.6 mm (6.34 x 2.81 x 0.38 in)
- Weight: 203 g (7.16 oz)
- Colors: Smokey Sangria, Thunder Grey
- SIM: Nano-SIM
- Type: AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 6.7 inches, 110.2 cm2 (~95.8% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~385 ppi density)
- 90Hz refresh rate
- Android 10.0
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8250 Snapdragon 865 (7 nm+)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 585 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 585)
- GPU: Adreno 650
- RAM: 12GB
- Internal Storage: 256GB
- Memory Card slot: No
- UFS 3.0
- Main Camera: Quad
- 108 MP, f/1.8, (wide), 1/1.33″, 0.8µm, PDAF, OIS
- 8 MP, f/2.4, 81mm (telephoto), 3x optical zoom, PDAF, OIS
- 16 MP, f/2.2, 13mm (ultrawide), 1.0µm
- TOF 3D, (depth)
- Features: Dual-LED dual-tone flash, panorama, HDR
- Video: 3240p, [email protected], [email protected]/60fps
- Selfie Camera: Single – 25 MP, f/2.0, 0.9µm
- Features: HDR
- Video: [email protected]
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.1, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO
- USB: Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Po 5000 mAh battery
- Charging: Fast charging 15W
- Fast wireless charging 15W
- Reverse wireless charging 5W
Motorola Edge+ Price and Availability
The Motorola Edge+ will be exclusive to Verzion in the US and will go on sale on May 14 in Smokey Sangria, Thunder Grey color variants.
It will cost $1,000 or you can sign up for $41.66 a month instalments for two years.
The global version is also arriving in May with a price tag of €1,199.