The Nokia brand has finally made a strong global comeback after years of absence from the smartphone world thanks to its new licensee – HMD Global. Its been a success story in well over two years of its re-emergence all thanks to its smartphone offerings which cuts across different price segments. The company is continuing its onslaught of releases today, as it has today introduced a new entry-level Nokia 2.2 smartphone for the India market.
Dubbed the Nokia 2.2, the new entry-level phone is the sequel to last year’s Nokia 2.1 which launched in the U.S as the Nokia 2V. The device, though an entry-level smartphone wears the look of a modern budget phone with its elegant design.
The phone sports a large 5.71-inch display with a water-drop notch, and as bright as 400 nits. As expected, it gets some huge bezel around the display which shouldn’t bother you anyway, perhaps due to its price segment.
Fortunately, it has a removable polycarbonate back with a reflective finish that gives its an attractive look, and what is more, the device has a 3,000mAh removable battery.
Worthy of mention is that the Nokia 2.2 gets a dedicated Google Assistant button along the left edge which can be used to wake the Assistant without saying any hotwords.
For the photo freaks on a tight budget, the Nokia 2.2 offers you a single a 13-megapixel rear camera with AI low-light feature, HDR and a 5-megapixel selfie camera on the front. The device lacks the fingerprint sensor, but the front cam does supports Face unlock.
Powering the 2.2 is MediaTek’s quad-core Helio A22 processor coupled with 2GB/3GB RAM, and 16GB/32GB internal storage expandable up to 400GB using microSD card slot. On the software front, the Nokia 2.2 boots Android 9 Pie OS (based on the Android One) out of the box, and much like other Nokia’s Android One phones, the 2.2 gets support for two years of OS updates and three years of security updates.
HMD Global claims the device will be the most affordable smartphone to get Android Q and probably the only smartphone in this segment to get a timely update.
Nokia 2.2 specifications
- 2G Band:
- GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2 (Dual SIM model only)
- GSM 900 / 1800 – India
- 3G Band: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100 – APAC, EMEA, India
- 4G Band:
- LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 38(2600), 40(2300) – APAC, EMEA
- LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 40(2300), 41(2500) – India
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE Cat4 150/50 Mbps
- Announced: June, 2019
- Status: Coming soon. Exp. release 2019, June 11
- Dimensions: 146 x 70.6 x 9.3 mm
- Weight: 153 g
- Colours: Steel, Tungsten Black
- SIM: Single SIM (Nano-SIM) or Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 5.71 inches, 81.4 cm2 (~79.0% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 720 x 1520 pixels, 19:9 ratio (~295 ppi density)
- Always-on display
- Android 9.0 (Pie); Android One
- Chipset: Mediatek MT6761 Helio A22 (12 nm)
- CPU: Quad-core 2.0 GHz Cortex-A53
- GPU: PowerVR GE8320
- Storage, RAM: 32 GB, 3 RAM or 16 GB, 2 GB
- External Storage: microSD, up to 400 GB
- Main Camera: Single – 13 MP, f/2.2, 1/3″, 1.12µm, AF
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Selfie Camera: Single – 5 MP
- Video: Yes
- FM Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 4.2, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
- USB: microUSB 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Accelerometer, proximity
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Ion 3000 mAh battery
Nokia 2.2 Price and Market Availability
The Nokia 2.2 will come in Black and Steel colors starting June 11. The 2/16GB variant is INR 6,999 ($100/€90) while the upgraded 3/32GB versions will set buyers back INR 7,999 ($115/€102). HMD mentioned it will offer the new device globally for around €99/$112 but did not provide an exact launch date.
Nokia 2.2 Review Rating
Not yet reviewed.
TellForce Blog Buyer’s Guide Verdict
Disclaimer: While we take the pains to ensure accuracy, we can not guarantee that the specs and information on this page about the Nokia 2.2 are 100% correct. If you think that any information for the current phone is wrong or missing, please contact us.
Our Buyer’s Guide Verdict is recommendation that we make based on our evaluation the specs of the device. It is a general guide designed to help you understand how much value a smartphone offers for its price. It is not a stamp of quality assessment or an endorsement of the device or of the manufacturers. Be sure to ask questions and use your judgement when buying any device, as TellForce Blog may not be held responsible for your buying decisions.