MediaTek announced its newest chipsets for a variety of devices today. These include the New Pentonic 1000 Chipset, the new T800 chipset solution for sub-6GHz and mmWave 5G networks, and the Kompanio 520 and Kompanio 528 chipsets for Chromebooks. Let’s take a closer look at them:
MediaTek Pentonic 1000
Pentonic 1000 is their latest flagship smart TV SoC for 4K 120Hz TVs. Pentonic 1000 supports Wi-Fi 6 and 6E, MEMC for smoother video, a strong AI processor, Dolby Vision IQ with Precision Detail, and 8-screen Intelligent View. The processor supports modern video codecs and global TV broadcast standards.
The Pentonic 1000’s on-chip AI engine offers industry-leading AI performance and power efficiency. MediaTek’s enhanced AI-Super Resolution (AI-SR) technology makes FHD look like 4K. Furthermore, AI-PQ Scene Recognition and AI-PQ Object Recognition improve picture quality for realistic depth perception.
Key features of the MediaTek Pentonic 1000 include
- With MediaTek’s patented Intelligent View technology, users can watch different media sources and video chat with friends at the same time, and every view has a great picture.
- Consumers can now watch different media sources in Dolby Vision in multiple windows, adding to Dolby’s portfolio of advanced imaging technologies available through Dolby Vision IQ.
- The MediaTek Pentonic 1000 has a CPU with multiple cores, a GPU with two cores, an APU, and engines for decoding video.
- The chipset supports 4K at 120 Hz and 144 Hz VRR for gaming.
Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) supports super-fast frame rates for lag-free gaming.
- Wi-Fi 6/6E supports low-latency cloud gaming and 4K streaming.
- Decoding 4K/120p video globally Built-in: Pentonic 1000 supports ATSC 3.0, AV1, HEVC, VP9, and AVS3 as well as VVC (H.266) to usher in the first wave of VVC adoption.
- The chipset has cutting-edge voice assistant features and Dolby Atmos immersive sound to connect smart TVs to other smart home devices.
MediaTek’s T800 chipset for sub-6GHz and mmWave 5G networks improves 5G applications and experiences.
This fast and power-efficient 5G solution follows MediaTek’s T700 5G modem and will drive 5G “beyond smartphone” applications, including industrial IoT, M2M, and always-connected PCs. Recently, MediaTek’s Dimensity 9200 was announced as well.
Key features of the MediaTek T800 include:
- MediaTek’s T800 supports 7.9 Gbps downloads and upload speeds of up to 4.2 Gbps.
- Support for mmWave and sub-6GHz standalone (SA) and non-standalone (NSA) 5G.
- Support for mixed duplex FDD/TDD connections as well as connections up to 4CC-CA.
- Support for dual 5G SIM (DSDS), according to device manufacturer specifications.
- MediaTek’s latest 5G UltraSave power-efficiency solutions maximize battery life for all 5G connection circumstances, allowing users to surf, stream, and game longer.
- The chipset solution includes a small modem with a 3GPP Release-16 5G cellular modem, FR1 transceivers, an ET chip, an MLNA, a GNSS receiver, and PMICs.
- The thin modem is based on a 4 nm manufacturing node and includes PCIe and USB host interfaces.
MediaTek Kompanio 520 and Kompanio 528
MediaTek launched the Kompanio 520 and 528 chipsets for Chromebooks. The latest Kompanio chipsets improve computational performance and battery life for entry-level Chromebooks.
Both the Kompanio 520 and 528 have two premium Arm Cortex-A76 CPU cores and an improved dual-core graphics engine for smooth and responsive performance. The Kompanio 520’s 2GHz Arm Cortex-A76 cores and the 528’s 2.2GHz cores optimize battery life, so customers may go longer between charges.
The fast octa-core CPU and economical memory and storage options boost data throughput, making multitasking easy and booting up in seconds. Each chipset has a dual-core AI processing unit (APU) to boost AI enhancements and AI camera functions. Brands can use MediaTek’s Filogic Wi-Fi 6 solutions with Kompanio chipsets to make streaming and cloud gaming faster and more reliable.
Kompanio 520 and 528 chipsets’ key features include:
- Includes the Arm Mali G52 MC2 2EE
- LPDDR4X memory with a maximum frequency of 3733 MHz is supported.
- It features eMMC 5.1 storage with a hardware command queue.
- Kompanio 520 and 528 support a Full HD+ display and a Full HD external display. This is more than twice the resolution of earlier chipsets.
- With next-generation imaging processing enhancements, the new Kompanio chipsets allow Chromebooks with 32MP cameras to capture detailed images.
- The updated multimedia engine has VP9 decoding, H.265 encoding, and a HiFi-5 DSP that uses very little power to process microphone audio.
- Chipsets support 60 fps with full HD video recording for video conferencing.
- 2560 x 1200 display support at 60 Hz and 1920 x 1080 external monitor display support at 60 Hz
By the first quarter of 2023, Pentonic 1000-powered smart TVs will be commercially accessible.
By the first half of 2023, Chromebooks with the Kompanio 520 and Kompanio 528 chipsets will be on the market.