The Reno8 series has finally gone global with two models – the Reno8 and Reno8 Pro. The latter launched as the Reno8 Pro+ in China in May, while the first one is an upgraded version of what is dubbed Reno8 in China. This means that both global phones are quite similar, except for two major changes.
Global Oppo Reno8 Pro Unveiled With Dimensity 8100-Max chipset
The Oppo Reno8 Pro is powered by the customized Dimensity 8100-Max chipset, This 5nm chip has four Cortex-A78 cores, four A55 and a Mali-G610 MC6 GPU. It has a fairly capable ISP, but image processing tasks are actually delegated to Oppo’s in-house MariSilicon X chip, which has 18 TOPS of number crunching power and works in 20-bit dynamic range. We will get back to the cameras in a second.
The other major advantage of the Pro is the 6.7” AMOLED display. It has 1,080 x 2,412px resolution, 120Hz refresh rate and HDR10+ support (plus the certifications for high-quality video streaming from Netflix and Amazon).
PUBG can run on the Reno8 Pro in 90Hz mode, a first for the Reno series (phones need to be whitelisted for high refresh rate mode). Another cool feature for this game is Background Update: updates are downloaded in the background and you will see a hovering button when it’s ready to install (not available in Japan and India).
Both Reno8 phones have the same camera setups, at least as far as the hardware is concerned – the Pro model will have better processing thanks to that MariSilicon chip.
The main camera on the back is based on the 50MP Sony IMX766, a 1/1.56” sensor (1.0µm pixels) behind an f/1.8 7P lens (23mm) with omni-directional PDAF, dual native ISO and 12-bit image output.
Also on the back is an 8MP ultra wide camera (IMX355, 1/4”, 1.12µm) with a 112° 16mm lens. Finally, there is a 2MP macro camera on here.
Oppo Reno8 series with a 50MP Sony IMX766 sensor on the back and 32MP IMX709 on the front
Flipping over to the front, the selfie camera is based on the 32MP IMX709 sensor (1/2.74”, 0.8µm). This sensor uses an RGBW matrix for better low light performance. Another thing to note is that this selfie camera has autofocus and a fairly wide FoV of 90°. Both the IMX709 and the IMX766 support DOL-HDR for 4x wider dynamic range.
There are a few other perks left to mention. The Pro model has dual speakers and an X-axis linear motor for haptic feedback. There is also an extra layer of graphite to lead head out through the back. The back of the Pro is made out of glass, by the way.
Oppo Reno8 Pro 5G Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 3G bands: HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 18, 19, 20, 26, 28, 32, 38, 39, 40, 41
- 5G bands: 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 40, 41, 77, 78 SA/NSA
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (CA), 5G
- Announced: 2022, July 18
- Status: Exp. release 2022, July 19
- Dimensions: 161.2 x 74.2 x 7.3 mm (6.35 x 2.92 x 0.29 in)
- Weight: 183 g (6.46 oz)
- Build: Glass front (Gorilla Glass 5), aluminum frame, glass back
- Colors: Glazed Green, Glazed Black
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: AMOLED, 1B colors, 120Hz, HDR10+, 500 nits (typ), 800 nits (HBM), 950 nits (peak)
- Size: 6.7 inches, 108.0 cm2 (~90.3% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2412 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~394 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Android 12, ColorOS 12.1
- Chipset: MediaTek Dimensity 8100-Max (5 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (4×2.85 GHz Cortex-A78 & 4×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G610 MC6
- Memory Card slot: No
- Internal: 256GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 12GB RAM
- UFS 3.1
- Main Camera: Triple
- 50 MP, f/1.8, 23mm (wide), 1/1.56″, 1.0µm, multi-directional PDAF
- 8 MP, f/2.2, 16mm, 112˚ (ultrawide), 1/4.0″, 1.12µm
- 2 MP, f/2.4, (macro)
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30/60/120/240fps, 720p@960fps, gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 32 MP, f/2.4, 22mm (wide), 1/2.74″, 0.8µm, AF
- Features: Panorama, HDR
- Video: 1080p@30fps, gyro-EIS
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.3, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS. Up to dual-band: GLONASS (1), BDS (2), GALILEO (2), QZSS (2)
- NFC: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, color spectrum
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 4500 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 80W, 1-45% in 10 min, 1-100% in 31 min (advertised)
- Reverse charging
Oppo Reno8 Pro 5G Price and Availability
The Oppo Reno8 Pro will be available in India from July 19, starting at INR 46,000 for the 8/256GB version. There is also a version with 12GB of RAM.