WhatsApp beta is testing chat history transfers from Android to iOS
The option to transfer WhatsApp’s chat history from iOS to Android, starting with Samsung in August last year and was eventually released for all Android 12 devices (in October). And now, transferring the other way, from Android to iOS, is now available to beta testers.
WhatsApp starts beta testing chat history transfers from Android to iOS
This means that it will be a while before the option is available to everyone. But if you are running WhatsApp beta, here are some key requirements:
- Android 5 (Lollipop) or later, WhatsApp (Android) 126.96.36.199 or later
- iOS 15.5, WhatsApp (iOS) 188.8.131.52 or later
- Same phone number as on the old phone
- Possible only during the initial setup of the iPhone
The transfer is done using the Apple’s Move to iOS app and happens locally. This means the old and new phones must be on the same Wi-Fi network (a Wi-Fi hotspot works too) and both must be plugged into a charger.
How to transfer WhatsApp data from Android to iPhone?
- Factory reset your iPhone from Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone
- Connect both the old Android phone and iPhone to a power source
- Connect both the devices to the same Wi-Fi network, or connect the Android device to your iPhone’s hotspot
- Download the Move to iOS app on Android phone, open it and follow the on-screen prompts.
- A code will be displayed on your iPhone. When prompted, enter the code on your Android phone.
- Tap Continue and follow the on-screen prompts.
- Select WhatsApp on the Transfer Data screen.
- Tap START on your Android phone, and wait for WhatsApp to prepare the data for export. You’ll be signed out from your Android phone once the data is prepared.
- Tap NEXT to return to the Move to iOS app.
- Tap CONTINUE to transfer the data from your Android phone to your iPhone and wait for Move to iOS to confirm the transfer is complete.
- Install the latest version of WhatsApp from the App Store.
- Open WhatsApp and log in using the same phone number used on your old device.
- Tap Start when prompted, and allow the process to complete.
- Finish activating your new device, and you’ll see all the old chats
Note that the data on the Android device won’t be wiped automatically, you can do that yourself afterwards. Also, while messages will be transferred, peer to peer payment messages and your WhatsApp call history will not be carried over to the iPhone.