At the WWDC 2022, Apple finally announced the new M2 chipset and also put all the rumors to rest with the launch of the redesigned Apple MacBook Air. With this, the company has updated the laptop which was last refreshed a couple of years ago.
The new Apple MacBook Air comes powered by the new M2 chip and continues to have a fanless design. Instead of the regular 13.3-inch display, the laptop comes with a new 13.6-inch display with up to 500 nits of brightness.
The screen is said to be 25 percent brighter than its predecessor and it comes with support for 1 billion colors. As for the design, the device looks quite similar to the 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models of last year.
Powered by the new M2 processor, Apple claims that the Final Cut Pro performance is nearly 40 percent faster than on the M1 Air and Photoshop is up to 20 percent faster.
There are two Thunderbolt ports on the left side, along with a headphone jack with support for high-impedance headphones. It also has added support for the MagSafe connector for charging. However, it still misses out on some of the ports, such as HDMI and SD Card reader, among others.
It also comes with an updated 1080p camera along with four speakers and three microphones. Apple said that there’s also support for Dolby Atmos spatial audio. The Magic Keyboard now has a full row of function keys with Touch ID and Force Touch trackpad.
The laptop measures just 11.3 millimeters thick and weighs 2.7 pounds (1.2 kilograms). As for the battery life, the company is promising up to 18 hours of video playback and with an optional 67-watt power adapter it can charge up to 50 percent in 30 minutes.
Apple MacBook Air (M2) specifications
- Display: 13.6-inch (2560 x 1664 pixels) 224 PPI Liquid Retina display with True Tone, Wide colour (P3), 500 nits brightness
- Memory/Storage: 8GB RAM (Configurable up to 24GB), 256GB / 512GB SSD storage (Configurable up to 2TB)
- Processor: Apple M2 chip 8-core CPU with 4 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores
8-core / 10-Core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine
- OS: macO
- Magic Keyboard, Touch ID, Force Touch trackpad
- 1080p FaceTime HD Camera
- Sound: Four-speaker sound system, Wide stereo sound, Support for Spatial Audio when playing music or video with Dolby Atmos on built-in speakers, Three-mic array with directional beamforming, 3.5 mm headphone jack
- Ports: Two Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports with support for: Charging, DisplayPort, Thunderbolt 3 (up to 40 Gbps), USB 4 (up to 40 Gbps), USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps), MagSafe 3 charging port
- Connectivity: 802.11ax Wi-Fi 6 2.4GHz + 5GHz, Bluetooth 5.0
- Battery and Power: 52.6‑watt‑hour lithium‑polymer battery with up to 15 hours wireless web, up to 18 hours Apple TV app movie playback, 30W USB-C Power Adapter (included with M2 with 8-core GPU) / 35W Dual USB-C Port Power Adapter (included with M2 with 10-core GPU and 512GB storage, configurable with M2 with 8-core GPU), support for fast charging with 67W USB-C Power Adapter
Apple MacBook Air 2022 Price and Availability
The new Apple MacBook Air comes in four color options — Silver, Space Gray, Midnight, and Starlight. It will be available for purchase from next month with a starting price of $1,199.