vivo unveiled the S15 series last month starting with the vivo S15e. Now it has introduced two new models, including vivo’s first Dimensity 8100 phone. We are talking about the new vivo S15 and vivo S15 Pro. Both have Samsung-made 120Hz AMOLED displays and fast-charging batteries.
vivo S15 unveiled
The vivo S15 is powered by a Snapdragon 870 chipset, specifically a variant vivo calls “Peak Edition”. The chip is paired with VMET memory technology (developed in-house), which will make it the fastest Snapdragon 870 yet, according to the company. This one also enjoys the cooling powers of a vapor chamber, which promises an identical 1.2° drop in temperature.
Like the Pro, this one packs a 120Hz AMOLED display, 6.62” in size with 1,080 x 2,400px resolution (20:9). This one opts for the older E4 material and isn’t as bright, but it can still hit 1,300 nits. This one also supports HDR10+ and perfect color calibration from the factory.
The main camera on the vivo S15 features a 64MP sensor (1/1.72”) with an f/1.9 aperture and OIS. Next to it is an 8MP ultra wide camera with 120° FoV, though this one doesn’t do macro shots. Anyway, the 2MP depth sensor and 32MP selfie cameras are the same.
The phone has the same battery capacity as the Pro, 4,500mAh, but charge power has been pared back to 66W. It can do 0-50% in 18 minutes, though, it’s no slouch.
vivo S15 Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- CDMA 800
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 2100
- CDMA2000 1x
- 4G bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 19, 28, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41
- 5G bands: 1, 3, 5, 8, 28, 41, 77, 78 SA/NSA
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G
- Announced: 2022, May 19
- Status: Exp. release 2022, May 27
- Dimensions: 161.1 x 74.3 x 8 mm (6.34 x 2.93 x 0.31 in)
- Weight: 197 g (6.95 oz)
- Colors: Blue, Black, Yellow
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: AMOLED, 120Hz, HDR10+, 1300 nits (peak)
- Size: 6.62 inches, 105.8 cm2 (~88.4% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~398 ppi density)
- Android 12, Origin OS Ocean
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8250-AC Snapdragon 870 5G (7 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×3.2 GHz Kryo 585 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 585)
- GPU: Adreno 650
- Memory Card slot: No
- Internal: 128GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 12GB RAM
- UFS 3.1
- Main Camera: Triple
- 64 MP, f/1.9, 25mm (wide), 1/1.72″, PDAF, OIS
- 8 MP, f/2.2, 16mm, 120˚ (ultrawide)
- 2 MP, f/2.4, (macro)
- Features: Dual-LED dual-tone flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30fps
- Selfie Camera: Single – 32 MP, f/2.0, (wide)
- Features: HDR
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- 24-bit/192kHz audio
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.2, A2DP, LE, aptX HD, aptX Adaptive
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS, QZSS
- NFC: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 4500 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 66W, 50% in 18 min (advertised)
vivo S15 Price and Availability
The vivo S15 is also up for pre-order on vivo’s web store in China with sales set to kick off on May 27. Three memory configurations are available to choose from.
The base unit has 8GB of RAM and 128GB storage and costs CNY 2,700 ($400/€380/₹31,000). You can double the storage to 256GB with the CNY 3,000 option, the top version also goes up to 12GB of RAM, that one is CNY 3,300.
By the way, the vivo S15 is related to the Indian version of the iQOO 7 and the iQOO Neo5, but it has a slightly improved main camera.