Along with the Xperia 10 IV, Sony also launched its newest flagship smartphone, the Xperia 1 IV. As the name suggests, it is the fourth iteration within its high end Xperia 1 series and comes with flagship specs and features.
The Japanese tech giant still continues with its simple but premium design philosophy, which is also reflected on the Xperia 1 IV. It features a flat design on the back and front, but with rounded corners. On the rear, there is a vertically stacked triple camera setup along with the ZEISS branding on the module. Meanwhile, the front has a rather thick chin and notch bezels. Since the company has placed an emphasis on the camera, the Xperia I IV also features a dedicated shutter button as well.
Sony has been moving towards sustainability and zero carbon footprint. Thus, the Xperia 1 IV’s packaging is now 50 percent smaller and contains no plastic content. The handset sports a 6.5 inch 4K HDR OLED display that has a 120Hz refresh rate and an aspect ratio of 21:9 as well. Notably, it even offers 240Hz motion blur reduction and 240Hz touch scanning rate.
The screen is also protected by Corning Gorilla Glass Victus. The company claims that the new OLED panel on the Xperia 1 IV is the brightest ever 4K display that is 50 percent brighter than the previous generation.
The premium grade smartphone is equipped with Qualcomm’s latest and greatest Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 SoC. This chipset is paired with 12GB of RAM and either 256GB or 512GB of internal storage.
The handset is powered by a large 5,000mAh battery pack, which supports 30W fast charging and even wireless charging as well.
Other notable features include, Android 12 out of the box, fingerprint scanner for security, IP68 rating for water and dust resistance, full stage stereo speakers, and even a 3.5mm headphone jack that supports Hi Res audio.
Interestingly, Sony focused on features that creators required when building the Xperia 1 IV. This included videographers, gamers, musicians, and others. Hence, the smartphone features native live streaming support through “Videography Pro” mode and the device even supports live streaming gameplay as well.
It also offers a game enhancer for improved gameplay experience. For musicians, the device comes with Dolby Atmos sound tuning that is in collaboration with Sony Pictures Entertainment and even 360 Reality Audio feature as well.
On the rear, the Xperia 1 IV features a triple camera setup that consists of three 12 megapixel sensors. This includes the 24mm F1.7 primary camera that has a 1/1.7 inch sensor, paired with a 16mm F2.2 ultra wide angle lens, and finally a 85 to 125mm F2.3 to 2.8 telephoto zoom lens. All of these sensors support OIS (Optical Image Stabilization).
The front also features a 12 megapixel selfie shooter that now also supports 4K HDR video recordings. Sony has offered a number of features with the camera of the Xperia 1 IV. It offers a cinematic video recording mode that is supplemented by subject tracking autofocus as well.
Sony Xperia 1 IV Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 3G bands: HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands:
- 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 46, 66 – Europe
- 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 46, 48, 66, 71 – USA
- 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 46, 66 – Asia
- 5G bands:
- 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 40, 41, 77, 78 SA/NSA/Sub6 – Europe
- 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 40, 41, 66, 71, 77, 78, 260, 261 SA/NSA/Sub6/mmWave – USA
- 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 28, 38, 40, 41, 77, 78, 79 SA/NSA/Sub6 – Asia
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G
- Announced: 2022, May 11
- Status: Exp. release 2022, June 11
- Dimensions: 165 x 71 x 8.2 mm (6.50 x 2.80 x 0.32 in)
- Weight: 185 g (6.53 oz)
- Build: Glass front (Gorilla Glass Victus), glass back (Gorilla Glass Victus), aluminum frame
- Colors: Black, Violet, White
- SIM: Single SIM (Nano-SIM or eSIM) or Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- IP65/IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 1.5m for 30 mins)
- Type: OLED, 1B colors, 120Hz, HDR BT.2020
- Size: 6.5 inches, 98.6 cm2 (~84.2% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1644 x 3840 pixels, 21:9 ratio (~643 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass Victus
- Runs at 1096 x 2560 pixels except for select use cases
- Android 12
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8450 Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 (4 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×3.00 GHz Cortex-X2 & 3×2.40 GHz Cortex-A710 & 4×1.70 GHz Cortex-A510)
- GPU: Adreno 730
- Memory Card slot: microSDXC (uses shared SIM slot)
- Internal: 256GB 12GB RAM, 512GB 12GB RAM
- UFS 3.X
- Main Camera: Quad
- 12 MP, f/1.7, 24mm (wide), 1/1.7″, 1.8µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS
- 12 MP, f/2.3, 85mm (telephoto), f/2.8, 125mm (telephoto), 1/3.5″, Dual Pixel PDAF, 3.5x-5.2x optical zoom, OIS
- 12 MP, f/2.2, 124˚, 16mm (ultrawide), 1/2.5″, Dual Pixel PDAF
- 3 MP, TOF 3D, (depth)
- Features: Zeiss optics, Zeiss T* lens coating, LED flash, panorama, HDR, eye tracking
- Video: 4K@24/25/30/60/120fps HDR, 1080p@30/60/120/240fps; 5-axis gyro-EIS, OIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 12 MP, f/2.0, 24mm (wide), 1/2.9″
- Features: HDR
- Video: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30fps, 5-axis gyro-EIS
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- 24-bit/192kHz audio
- Dynamic vibration system
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6e, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.2, A2DP, LE Audio, aptX HD, aptX Adaptive
- GPS: Yes, with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS
- NFC: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 3.2; USB On-The-Go, video output
- Sensors: Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, barometer, compass, color spectrum
- Native Sony Alpha camera support
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 5000 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 30W, 50% in 30 min (advertised)
- Fast wireless charging
- Reverse wireless charging
- USB Power Delivery
Sony Xperia 1 IV Price & Availability
Sony Xperia 1 IV carries a price tag of 1,599 US Dollars, it sits at the ultra premium segment alongside the Apple iPhone 13 Pro Max, and Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra.
The smartphone is set to go on sale in September 2022, although, starting today (May 11, 2022) the smartphone will be available for pre-orders from Sony’s official website. The device can be purchased in multiple color models, including Black, Ice White, and Purple.