Motorola has quietly unveiled an extremely attractive mid-range smartphone called Motorola Edge 30. The device has a lot going for it like the Snapdragon 778G+ chipset, the 144Hz refresh rate display.
The younger sibling of the previously launched Motorola Edge 30 Pro, the vanilla Edge 30 shares many design similarities with the Pro variant while going for a flatter and cleaner look. The device has a pill-shaped camera island slightly protruding from the back.
The edges of the device are slightly curved and the right side houses the power button and volume rocker. Motorola has claimed the device to be the thinnest 5G phone yet with a thickness of just 6.79mm (excluding the camera bump).
On the front, the device comes with a 6.5-inch FHD+ display with HDR10+ and a 144Hz refresh rate. The screen houses a centered punch-hole for the front camera and has thin bezels going around it.
Under the hood, the smartphone features a Snapdragon 778G+ SoC which is an overclocked variant of the popular 778G chipset. Paired with the SoC is 8GB of LPDDR4x RAM and 128GB or 256GB of storage. The device runs Android 12 Based My UX out of the box which provides a near-stock Android experience. However, due to the device being super thin, it sacrifices the battery, only offering a 4,020 mAh capacity paired with 33W fast charging (TurboPower charger in the box).
Other features offered on the device include dual-sim 5G (sub-6 GHz), Wi-Fi 6E, Bluetooth 5.2, NFC, and a USB-C port. The device does not have a 3.5 mm headphone jack and comes with IP52 dust and splash resistance rating. For sound, the Edge 30 features stereo speakers with Dolby Atmos.
For photography, the Motorola Edge 30 has a triple camera setup. It has a 50-megapixel primary camera with OIS and all-pixel focus. The all-pixel focus feature uses 100% pixels while focusing on a subject rather than the usual 3% resulting in faster focus and sharper images in any light conditions.
The Edge 30 has another 50-megapixel sensor for its ultra-wide camera with 118° FOV which can also be used as a macro camera. Both the primary and ultrawide cameras are capable of 4K video recording at 30 FPS and 1080P video recording at 60FPS. The third cutout houses a 2-megapixel depth sensor. On the front, we get a 32MP selfie camera for selfies and video calls.
Motorola Edge 30 Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2 (dual-SIM)
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 20, 26, 28, 32, 38, 39, 40, 41, 41, 42, 43, 66
- 5G bands: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 40, 41, 66, 78 SA/NSA/Sub6
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (CA), 5G
- Announced: 2022, April 27
- Status: Exp. release 2022, May
- Dimensions: 159.4 x 74.2 x 6.8 mm (6.28 x 2.92 x 0.27 in)
- Weight: g
- Colors: Meteor Grey, Supermoon Silver, Aurora Green
- SIM: Single SIM (Nano-SIM) or Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Water-repellent design
- Type: AMOLED, 1B colors, 144Hz, HDR10+
- Size: 6.5 inches, 102.0 cm2 (~86.2% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~405 ppi density)
- Android 12
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM7325-AE Snapdragon 778G+ 5G (6 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.5 GHz Cortex-A78 & 3×2.4 GHz Cortex-A78 & 4×1.8 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Adreno 642L
- Memory Card slot: No
- Internal: 128GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM
- Main Camera: Triple
- 50 MP, f/1.8, (wide), 1/1.55″, 1.0µm, multi-directional PDAF, OIS
- 50 MP, f/2.2, 114˚ (ultrawide), 1/2.76″, 0.64µm, PDAF
- 2 MP, f/2.4, (depth)
- Features: Dual-LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30/60/120fps, 720p@960fps, HDR10, gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 32 MP, f/2.4, (wide), 0.7µm
- Features: HDR
- Video: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30/120fps
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6e, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.2, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO
- NFC: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 2.0
- Sensors: Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 4020 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 33W
Motorola Edge 30 Price and Availability
The Motorola Edge 30 has a starting price of €449.99 for the 8GB + 128GB variant. It will be available in three color options – Aurora Green, Meteor Grey, and Supermoon Silver. The device will soon be launched in select markets including Europe, Asia, Australia, India, Latin America, and the Middle East.