Huawei launched the Mate Xs two years ago amd now the company has unveiled its successor, the Huawei Mate Xs 2. The premium foldable smartphone is different from other foldable available on the market as it features an outward folding design.
Mate Xs 2 Launched With SD 888 4G, Stylus Support
Speaking about its design, the device is similar to its predecessor as it has an outward folding design rather than an inward one found on traditional foldables. While folded, the display stays in place due to a latch mechanism and when released, it opens partway thanks to the spring-loaded hinge.
The body of the Mate Xs 2 is made of materials like aviation-grade titanium alloy, ultra-light fiberglass, and ultra-light and super-strong steel making the foldable weigh just 255 grams. Huawei has used a microfiber material for the back panel of the device.
When folded, the screen of the device measures 6.5-inches and unfolding the Mate Xs 2 gives a larger screen area diagonally measuring 7.8-inches. Talking about the display, it is an OLED panel with 2480 x 2200 pixels resolution when expanded (2480 × 1176 pixels while folded).
The screen has 120 Hz refresh rate, 240 Hz touch sampling rate, 1440 Hz PWM dimming and 424ppi pixel density. The panel is capable of displaying 1.07 billion colors and covers the P3 wide color gamut.
Hardware and Software
Under the hood, the smartphone houses a Snapdragon 888 4G SoC with the Adreno 660 GPU on board. The device is offered with 8GB of RAM and 256/512GB storage. Huawei has also introduced a Collector’s edition which is offered in 12GB RAM and 512GB storage configuration. Both the variants can have their memory expanded by up to 256GB with Huawei’s Nano Memory Card.
Software waise, the Mate Xs 2 runs on HarmonyOS 2 out of the box which brings new smart multi-window and quick-swipe gestures to accommodate for the large screen. It also has an adaptive UI engine with a self-learning layout and optimization. The top 300 apps on the AppGallery have been officially adapted for the big screen of the Mate Xs 2.
The battery on the Huawei Mate Xs 2 has 4600mAh capacity while the Collector’s edition comes with a bigger 4880mAh battery. Both variants come with 66W fast charging support which the company claims can refill the battery to 90% in just 30 minutes.
To keep thermals under control, the device has incorporated a Graphene liquid cooling system.
For photography, the Mate Xs 2 has a triple rear camera setup with a 50-megapixel primary with f/1.8 aperture, a 13-megapixel ultrawide camera with f/2.2 aperture and a 8-megapixel telephoto camera with f/2.4 aperture, OIS and 3x optical zoom capability.
The camera is capable of clicking pictures in 8192 × 6144 pixels resolution and supports 1080p@960fps super slow motion videography.
Battery and Charging
On the front, we have a 10.7-megapixel ultra-wide-angle camera with f/2.2 aperture. Other that that, Huawei has upgraded the XD Optics computing optics, mirroring smart shooting, dual-screen synchronous framing, easy click and AI accurate elimination.
The Mate Xs 2 also offers support for Huawei M-Pen 2s Stylus which comes 4096-level high pressure sense and a 82mAh battery capable of continuously writing for 10 hours and offers a standby time of 40 days. It uses Bluetooth 5 for connectivity.
Other features of the Mate Xs 2 include tri-band Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.2, NFC, GPS/AGPS/GLONASS/ Beidou/ NavIC, USB Type-C, and headphone support via USB Type-C connector. The device also covers all the standard 2G, 3G and 4G bands.
Huawei Mate Xs 2 Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- CDMA 800
- 3G bands: HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 18, 19, 20, 26, 28, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A
- Announced: 2022, April 28
- Status: Exp. release 2022, May 07
- Unfolded: 156.5 x 139.3 x 5.4 mm
- Folded: 156.5 x 75.5 x 11.1 mm
- Weight: 255 g / 257 g (8.99 oz)
- Colors: Black, White, Purple
- SIM: Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: Foldable OLED, 1B colors, 120Hz
- Size: 7.8 inches, 195.8 cm2 (~89.8% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 2200 x 2480 pixels (~424 ppi density)
- Folded cover display: OLED, 6.5 inches, 1176 x 2480 pixels
- HarmonyOS 2.0
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 4G (5 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 680 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 680 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 680)
- GPU: Adreno 660
- Memory Card slot: NM (Nano Memory), up to 256GB (uses shared SIM slot)
- Internal: 256GB 8GB RAM, 512GB 8GB RAM, 512GB 12GB RAM
- Main Camera: Triple
- 50 MP, f/1.8, (wide), PDAF, Laser AF
- 8 MP, f/2.4, 81mm (telephoto), PDAF, OIS, 3x optical zoom
- 13 MP, f/2.2, 120˚ (ultrawide)
- Features: Dual-LED dual-tone flash, panorama, HDR
- Video: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30/240fps
- Selfie Camera: Single – 10.7 MP, f/2.2
- Features: HDR
- Video: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30/240fps
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.2, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS. Up to tri-band: GLONASS (1), BDS (3), GALILEO (2), QZSS (2), NavIC
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared port: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 3.1, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer, color spectrum
- Battery Type and Capacity:
- Li-Po 4600 mAh, non-removable
- Li-Po 4880 mAh, non-removable – 512GB 12GB RAM version only
- Charging: Fast charging 66W
- Reverse charging
Huawei Mate Xs 2 Price and Availability
The Huwei Xs 2 comes in three different colors namely Elegant black, Brocade white and Frost purple. They can also be matched with the same color leather protective case and bracket which acts as a stand for the foldable device.
The device’s price for the Chinese market is as below:
- 8GB+256GB – 9999 yuan ($1,512)
- 8GB+512GB – 11,499 yuan ($1,739)
- 12GB+512GB – 12,999 yuan ($1,965)
The Huawei M-Pen 2s Stylus has a price of 599 yuan ($90)