vivo’s iQOO has today launched three models in the 9-series for the global stage, and started with the Indian market. There is some overlap with models already available in China, e.g. the iQOO 9 Pro is identical to the one in China. The iQOO 9 is all new, however, and there is also the iQOO 9 SE, which isn’t entirely new, but was called otherwise.
iQOO 9 Launched In India
The global iQOO 9 is a completely different from the Chinese one, but much closer to the 9 Pro. This one arrives with a different chipset, screen, camera and battery. Basically, other than the name,.
The phone is now powered by the Snapdragon 888+, the overclocked 888 from last year (rather than the new 8 Gen 1). It comes with two memory configurations: 8/128 GB and 12/256 GB (there is no 512 GB option). Note that the Extended RAM 2.0 feature can use the UFS 3.1 storage to add some virtual RAM.
The chipset is cooled by the Full Coverage Vapor Chamber Liquid Cooling System, which the company claims drops the phone’s surface temperature by 4°C (and as much as 12°C for the chipset itself during heavy gaming).
The phone still runs Funtouch OS (version 12, based on Android 12), instead of switching over to OriginOS. It will receive OS updates for two years and an extra year of security patches (the same goes for the SE below).
The AMOLED display is smaller at 6.56”, down from 6.78” on the Chinese model. It still has 1080p+ resolution and even an HDR10+ certification. The iQOO 9 supports the Dual Monster Touch controls that we saw on the iQOO 7 Legend – basically, the display is split into two zones and each can sense the amount of pressure you apply with your thumb.
The display offers 120Hz refresh rate and 300Hz touch sampling rate with an Intelligent Display Chip. This chip can drop the frame rate of the game to give the chipset a chance to cool off. It does this by inserting intermediate frames to simulate 90 fps while the GPU only renders at 60 fps (this is supported only on PUBG for now).
The main camera switched to a 48MP Sony IMX598, a smaller 1/2.0” sensor with 0.8µm pixels (vs. 50MP, 1/1.57”, 1.0µm on the Chinese unit). This one has gimbal optical stabilization. It is joined by a 13MP ultrawide camera (120°) and a 13MP portrait camera with 2x optical magnification (50mm). On the front is a 16MP selfie camera.
The phone itself now is a tad smaller at 159.1 x 75.1 x 8.63 mm. Unfortunately, this also means a smaller battery, 4,350 mAh (down from 4,700 mAh). The good news is that the 120W fast charging is maintained and can do a full 0-100% charge in just 18 minutes. The bad news is that there is no wireless charging on this model.
iQOO 9 Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41
- 5G bands: 1, 3, 5, 8, 28, 41, 77, 78 SA/NSA
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G
- Announced: 2022, February 23
- Status: Exp. release 2022, March 02
- Dimensions: 159.1 x 75.1 x 8.6 or 8.7 mm
- Weight: 200 g / 202 g (7.05 oz)
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Colors: Legend, Alpha, Phoenix
- Splash and dust resistant
- Type: AMOLED, 120Hz
- Size: 6.62 inches, 105.8 cm2 (~84.9% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~398 ppi density)
- Android 12, Funtouch 12
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888+ 5G (5 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.99 GHz Kryo 680 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 680 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 680)
- GPU: Adreno 660
- Storage: 128GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 12GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: No
- UFS 3.1
- Main Camera: Triple
- 48 MP, f/1.8, 25mm (wide), 1/2.0″, 0.8µm, PDAF, gimbal OIS
- 13 MP, f/2.5, 50mm (telephoto), PDAF, 2x optical zoom
- 13 MP, f/2.2, 16mm, 120˚ (ultrawide)
- Features: Dual-LED dual-tone flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30fps
- Selfie Camera: Single – 16 MP, f/2.5, (wide), 1/3.1″, 1.0µm
- Features: HDR
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Unspecified
- 24-bit/192kHz audio
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.2, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS
- NFC: No
- USB: USB Type-C 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 4350 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 120W, 50% in 6 min, 100% in 18 min (advertised)
iQOO 9 Price and Availability
The iQOO 9 is already on pre-order, sales will start on March 2.
- 8GB + 128GB – INR 42,990
- 12GB + 256GB – INR 46,990
It can be purchased on Amazon India.