MediaTek Kompanio 1380 unveiled for for tablets and Chromebooks
MediaTek, a company known for making mid-range and affordable chips is now paving its way into the premium segment. It has also revamped its lineup of chipsets to compete against market leaders like Qualcomm.
The Taiwan-based company does not only make smartphone chips but has also launched chips for tablets, smart TVs, routers, etc. Now, the company has announced a new chip for premium Chromebooks — MediaTek Kompanio 1380.
While MediaTek already has a presence in the Chromebook segment, it is mostly limited to entry-level or budget products. With this new Kompanio 1380 chip, the company is now trying to set foot in the premium segment.
MediaTek is claiming high performance and low power consumption with the Kompanio 1380 chipset. It features an octa-core CPU with four high-performance Arm Cortex-A78 cores with speeds up to 3GHz for improved responsiveness.
It packs a five-core Arm Mali-G57 GPU that supports fast and vivid visuals, while the quad-channel 2133MHz LPDDR4X ensures plenty of data bandwidth. There’s also a multi-core AI processor that accelerates AI-camera and AI-voice applications.
The chip supports up to two 4K 60Hz displays, or one 4K 60Hz display plus two 4K 30Hz displays. With A1 Hardware Decoding, users can stream 4K movies and TV shows. It also comes with a dedicated audio digital signal processor (DSP) that provides an ultra-low-power voice on wakeup (VoW) capabilities for voice assistants.
MediaTek Kompanio 1380 (MT8195T) Specifications
- Octa-Core – 4x Arm Cortex-A78 up to 3GHz, 4x Arm Cortex-A55 up to 2GHz
- Arm Mali-G57 MC5 GPU
- TSMC 6nm process
- 2133MHz LPDDR4X memory, eMMC / uFS / NVMe storage
- MediaTek APU 3.0 with 4 TOPS performance
- 16 MP + 16MP camera, 3840 x 2160 (4K) video recording
- 2520 x 1080 (Full HD+), 2560 x 1600 (2.5K) and 3840 x 2160 (4K) display resolution support
- Supports up to three independent displays total; two 4K60 HDR displays or 2.5K up to 120Hz
- H.264, H.265 / HEVC encode, H.264, H.265 / HEVC, VP-9 and AV1 decode, 7.1 surround sound audio
- Wi-Fi 6 / 6E (a/b/g/n/ac/ax), Bluetooth 5.0, GNSS: GPS, Glonass, BeiDou, Galileo, QZSS
The new Acer Chromebook Spin 513 is the first device to come powered by this MediaTek Kompanio 1380 chipset and will roll out from April starting at US$ 599.99. The company has added that more devices powered by this new processor will soon get launched in the market.