“iPhone is a revolutionary and magical product that is literally five years ahead of any other mobile phone,” Jobs said during his Jan. 9, 2007 keynote.
14 Facts About iPhone and Apple
- In 2007, Apple’s market capitalization (the total value of all the shares of Apple stock) was $174.03 billion. On Jan. 3, 2022, it hit $3 trillion dollars, the highest market capitalization for any company ever.
- The original iPhone came with a silver brushed aluminum finish. The current iPhone 13 has an aluminum frame, glass front and back, and comes in five colors. The iPhone 13 Pro is available in three finishes.
- The original iPhone cost $499 and came with 4GB of storage. For $100 more you could get one with 8GB of storage. The iPhone 13 Pro Max costs $1,099 for 256GB of storage and tops out at 1TB of storage for $1,599.
- The following companies didn’t exist in 2007: Instagram, Uber, TikTok, Twitch, Snap, Lyft, DoorDash, Tinder, Slack, Lime, Postmates, Venmo and Pinterest.
- The original iPhone had a single camera and it was located on the back. The iPhone 13 Pro has four cameras (three on the back and one on the front).
- You couldn’t copy and paste text with the original iPhone. In fact, copy and paste wasn’t added until 2009 with the release of iPhone OS 3.
- The original iPhone had 15 apps: Calendar, Camera, Clock, Contacts, iPod, Maps (Google Maps), Messages, Notes, Phone, Photos, Safari, Stocks, Voice Memos, Weather and Settings.
- There have been 33 iPhone models, and Apple currently sells eight.
- You couldn’t record videos with the original iPhone. Now the iPhone 13 Pro can record 4K 60fps video and can even record in ProRes at 4K 30fps.
- The following movies were filmed with an iPhone: Unsane, Tangerine, Detour, High Flying Bird, Snow Steam Iron and Lady Gaga: Stupid Love (which is technically a music video).
- The original iPhone didn’t support MMS for sending things like photos and videos via text messages. It was added as a part of iPhone OS 3.
- The original iPhone had a 3.5-inch screen. The iPhone 13 Mini has a 5.4-inch screen, the iPhone 13 comes with a 6.1-inch screen and the 13 Pro Max has a giant 6.7-inch screen.
- FaceTime was released in 2010 and iMessage in 2011.
- The App Store opened on July 10, 2008 with 500 apps. According to Apple’s website, there are currently 1.8 million apps in the App Store.
So here we are, 15-years later, and the iPhone is stronger than ever. And none of this happens without the introduction of the iPhone 15 years today. Happy Birthday iPhone!