Lenovo‘s acquisition of Motorola has really help turned around the fortunes of the once-beloved brand for good. The now Lenovo-owned company has seen a change in its fortunes in recent times and it is no surprise that the brand is putting efforts at deepening its market presence. That it has done with the unveiling, today, of the Moto Edge X30 flagship smartphone.
The Moto Edge X30 comes as the first Snapdragon 8 Gen 1-powered smartphone. It arrives alongside the Snapdragon 888-powered Moto Edge S30. Both smartphones are indeed set to go on sale before the year’s end! Isn’t that awesome? According to the brand, the Moto Edge X30 and Edge S30 will be on pre-order from tonight and will go on sale for the first time at 10:00 AM on December 15.
No doubt, the major highlight of the Moto Edge X30 is the new generation of Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 chipset. The chipset uses Samsung’s 4nm process and the CPU is made up of a Cortex-X2 super core with a clock frequency of 3.0GHz, three Cortex-A710 cores clocked at frequency 2.5GHz each, and four Cortex-A510 cores, each clocked at 1.8GHz.
The new processor brings about a 20% increase in performance compared to the previous generation CPU. Energy consumption is also reduced by up to 30%, GPU performance is increased by 30%, energy consumption has been reduced by 25%, while the AI performance is four times that of the Snapdragon 888 series. The device was able to record an AnTuTu benchmark score of 1061361, making it the number one Android smartphone presently.
In terms of battery life, the Edge X30 has a built-in 5000mAh super-capacity battery, and it also supports 68W fast charging, which can replenish 50% of the battery in just 13 minutes.
As for photography, the flagship Moto packs a triple camera setup at the ear aspects. The camera setup at the rear includes a 50MP wide-angle main camera, teaming up with a 50MP super wide-angle macro main camera and a 2MP depth-of-field sensor. For selfies, there is a 60MP front shooter. One of the main rear cameras is the OV50A sensor, which has a 1/55-inch ultra-large bottom and supports OIS optical image stabilization.
In terms of the display, the Moto Edge X30 comes in two versions. One is the regular version which uses a center-punched 1 billion color ultra-sensitive color screen that supports a 144Hz high refresh rate and up to 576Hz touch sampling rate. It also supports Dolby surround sound dual speakers, which can provide a very good audiovisual and gaming experience.
The second display version is the Under-screen Proactive version. This version is touted to have the strongest under-screen camera solution in the industry with its 60MP front sensor which can take into account both the display effect and the Selfie effect.
For interface, the Moto Edge X30 runs on MYUI 3.0 based on the Android 12 OS, bringing an entirely new UI visual interface.
Motorola Moto Edge X30 Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41
- 5G bands: 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 41, 78 SA/NSA/Sub6
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (CA), 5G
- Announced: 2021, December 09
- Status: Exp. release 2021, December 15
- Dimensions: 163.6 x 75.6 x 8.5 mm (6.44 x 2.98 x 0.33 in)
- Weight: 194 g (6.84 oz)
- Build: Glass front, glass back (Gorilla Glass 5)
- Colors: White, Black
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Water-repellent design
- Type: OLED, 1B colors, 144Hz, HDR10+, 500 nits (typ), 700 nits (HBM)
- Size: 6.8 inches, 111.6 cm2 (~90.3% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~387 ppi density)
- Android 12, MYUI 3.0
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen1 (4 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core 3.0 GHz
- GPU: Adreno
- Storage: 128GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 12GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: No
- UFS 3.1
- Main Camera: Triple
- 50 MP, f/1.9, (wide), 1/1.55″, 1.0µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS
- 50 MP, f/2.2, 114˚ (ultrawide), 1/2.76″, 0.64µm
- 2 MP, f/2.4, (depth)
- Features: Dual-LED flash, panorama, HDR
- Video: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30/60/120/240fps, 720p@960fps, 10-bit HDR10+, gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Single
- 60 MP, f/2.2, (wide), 1/2.8″, 0.61µm
- 60 MP, f/2.2, (wide), 1/2.8″, 0.61µm, under display
- Features: HDR
- Video: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30/120fps
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6e, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.2, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO
- NFC: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C
- Sensors: Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Ready For support
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 5000 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 68W, 100% in 35 min (advertised)
Motorola Moto Edge X30 Price and Specifications
Speaking of the pricing, the Moto Edge X30 standard version starts at 3,199 yuan (~$501) but there is a full-line discount of 200 yuan bringing the starting price to 2999 yuan ($470) for the base variant with 8GB RAM and 128GB storage. Here are the entire prices.
- Moto Edge X30 standard version 8GB + 128GB priced at 3199 yuan
- Moto Edge X30 standard version 8GB + 256GB priced at 3399 yuan
- Moto Edge X30 standard version 12GB + 256GB priced at 3599 yuan
The Under-display camera version of the Edge X30 is only available in a sole 12GB+256GB version priced at 3999 yuan (~$627).