iQOO mobile phone brand held a launch event recently in China where it unveiled two new smartphones. The premium of the pack model is the iQOO Neo 5 S which arrives with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 chipset under the hood.
iQOO Neo 5 S Launched
Design and Display
As for the design, the iQOO Neo 5 S continues the cool design style of the iQOO Neo family. The rear camera module adopts a triple camera design with the sensors stacked vertically at the top left corner o the back panel, housed in a rectangular module.
The iQOO Neo 5 S comes with a 6.62-inch LCD screen with a hole punch opening at the front that houses the 16MP selfie shooter. The display supports a 120Hz high refresh rate, 100% coverage of P3 color gamut, 16,000-level brightness adjustment, and has HDR10+, Eye Care Display, and Seamless certification.
As stated earlier, the flagship model is powered by a Snapdragon 888 chipset paired with LPDDR5 RAM options of 8GB and 12GB. There is also 128GB / 256GB UFS 3.1 flash storage onboard. The premium smartphone is said to come with an independent display chip Pro, which can share half of the rendering work for the GPU during gaming sessions while ensuring a high-frame gaming experience and reducing power consumption. Apart from saving power, this allows the phone to run smoothly during gaming.
With the support of this independent display chip Pro, it brings a unique MEMC motion calculation and compensation technology. Through the frame insertion technology, the low frame game can also be increased to 120 frames, and it can also ensure a long-term stable high frame rate picture. Official data shows that playing “Honor of Kings” can run for 2 hours in a stable frame while playing at 120 frames.
Furthermore, the brightness adjustment algorithm of the independent display chip Pro, with a light sensor, brings a more refined screen brightness adjustment function with up to 16,000 gear dimming levels.
In order to better release the performance of the Snapdragon 888 chipset, the iQOO Neo 5 S is touted to be the first smartphone to launch with a high-conductivity rare earth heat dissipation with an extremely high thermal conductivity. The rare earth elements cover up to 89.4% of the mobile phone space. It is equipped with large-area graphite plates and liquid-cooled plates.
For optics, the Neo 5 S is equipped with a 48MP main camera with optical image stabilization as well as a 13MP wide-angle lens and a 2MP monochrome lens. The camera supports super night scenes, starry sky mode, slow-motion capture, dual-view video, big movie mode, among others.
Keeping the lights on is a built-in 4500mAh large battery that supports 66W flash charging. The device can be charged up to 70% in 18 minutes. It runs on iQOO’s custom OriginOS Ocean based on Android 11.
vivo iQOO Neo 5 S Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- CDMA 800
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
- CDMA2000 1x
- 4G bands: 1, 3, 4, 5, 8, 28, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41
- 5G bands: 1, 3, 5, 8, 28, 41, 77, 78 SA/NSA
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G
- Announced: 2021, December 20
- Status: Exp. release 2021, December 25
- Dimensions: 163.2 x 76.4 x 8.4 mm (6.43 x 3.01 x 0.33 in)
- Weight: 196 g (6.91 oz)
- Colors: Orange, Blue, Black
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: AMOLED, 120Hz, HDR10+, 1300 nits (peak)
- Size: 6.62 inches, 105.8 cm2 (~84.9% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~398 ppi density)
- Android 11, Origin OS Ocean
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 5G (5 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 680 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 680 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 680)
- GPU: Adreno 660
- Storage: 128GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 12GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: No
- UFS 3.1
- Main Camera: Triple
- 48 MP, f/1.8, 25mm (wide), 1/2.0″, 0.8µm, PDAF, OIS
- 13 MP, f/2.2, 16mm, 120˚ (ultrawide)
- 2 MP, f/2.4, (macro)
- Features: Dual-LED dual-tone flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30fps
- Selfie Camera: Single – 16 MP, f/2.0, (wide)
- Features: HDR
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- 24-bit/192kHz audio
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.2, A2DP, LE, aptX HD, aptX Adaptive
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS, QZSS
- NFC: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 4500 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 66W, 70% in 18 min (advertised)
vivo iQOO Neo 5 S Price and Availability
For the pricing and availability, the iQOO Neo 5 S is presently on pre-sale and will be officially sold on December 24. For the prices;
- 8GB + 128GB version goes for 2699 yuan (~$423)
- 8GB + 256GB version goes for 2899 yuan (~$455)
- 12GB + 256GB version goes for 3199 yuan (~$501)