Google has finally unveiled its much anticipated Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro and they brings significant upgrades in all areas. From a revamped design to better cameras to Google’s first mobile processor and software that is designed to take advantage of the hardware for a smooth experience, Google claims its new phones bring big upgrades.
Google Pixel 6 Pro launched
Compared to the standard version, the Pixel 6 Pro packs a bigger 6.7-inch screen with a QHD+ LTPO display and a 120Hz refresh rate. It has Gorilla Glass Victus on the front and back for protection against scratches.
The Tensor processor is Google’s first smartphone chipset. The SoC has 2 high-performance cores, 2 mid-cores, and 4 high-efficiency cores. It also has a 20-core GPU. Compared to the Pixel 5 which has a Snapdragon 765G processor, Google says the Tensor chipset has a CPU performance that is 80% faster and a GPU performance that is 370% faster.
The chip is paired with 12GB of RAM and 128GB, 256GB, or 512GB of storage. As expected, there is no storage expansion.
The Pixel 6 Pro has an in-display fingerprint scanner and a Titan M2 security chip. The Tensor chip also has a security core built-in that works with the Titan M2 to protect the phones against attacks. They have dual SIM support (one nano-SIM and one eSIM), WiFi 6E, stereo speakers, IP68 water and dust resistance, and a fingerprint-resistant coating.
There is a 5003mAh battery inside the Pixel 6 Pro and the device supports 30W fast wired charging, fast wireless charging (23W on using the Pixel Stand), and reverse wireless charging. They don’t ship with a charger but if you have a USB-PD compatible charger available, that should be fine. You can also charge wirelessly with a Qi-certified EPP charger but the charging speed will be capped at 12W.
The Pixel 6 Pro runs Android 12 out of the box and will receive 5 years of security updates.
There is a 50MP main camera on the phone as well as a 12MP f/2.2 ultrawide angle camera with a 114° field of view. The 50MP sensor has an 82° field of view, an f/1.85 aperture, and a 1/1.31” sensor size. Google says that the phones capture 2.5x more light than the Pixel 5. There’s also a third rear camera – a 48MP sensor with a telephoto lens that brings 4x optical zoom. The front-facing camera is an 11.1MP sensor.
The Pixel phones are known for packing impressive cameras thanks to the software. The Pixel 6 series takes the Pixel camera prowess to a new level with features such as Face Unblur which combines photos from two different cameras to remove the blur on faces when you take photos of fast-moving subjects such as kids. Magic Eraser will remove unwanted objects and persons from your photo.
There is also Motion Mode which detects if there is a fast-moving object in a photo such as a moving vehicle or the wheels of a bicycle and applies a motion blur to the object while keeping the subject sharp and in focus. The most important of them all for people of color is Real Tone which is a better image algorithm that authentically replicates the skin tone of the subject.
Google Pixel 6 Pro Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- CDMA 800 / 1700 / 1900
- 3G bands: HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 32, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 46, 48, 66, 71 – GLUOG, G8VOU
- 5G bands:
- 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 14, 20, 25, 28, 30, 38, 40, 41, 48, 66, 71, 77, 78, 257, 258, 260, 261 SA/NSA/Sub6/mmWave – G8VOU
- 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 14, 20, 25, 28, 30, 38, 40, 41, 48, 66, 71, 77, 78 SA/NSA/Sub6 – GLUOG
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (CA), 5G
- Announced: 2021, October 19
- Status: Exp. release 2021, October 28
- Dimensions: 163.9 x 75.9 x 8.9 mm (6.45 x 2.99 x 0.35 in)
- Weight: 210 g (7.41 oz)
- Colors: Cloudy White, Sorta Sunny, Stormy Black
- Build: Glass front (Gorilla Glass Victus), glass back (Gorilla Glass Victus), aluminum frame
- SIM: Nano-SIM and/or eSIM
- IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 1.5m for 30 mins)
- Type: LTPO AMOLED, 120Hz, HDR10+
- Size: 6.71 inches, 110.5 cm2 (~88.8% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1440 x 3120 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~512 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass Victus
- Always-on display
- Android 12
- Chipset: Google Tensor (5 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (2×2.80 GHz Cortex-X1 & 2×2.25 GHz Cortex-A76 & 4×1.80 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G78 MP20
- Storage: 128GB 12GB RAM, 256GB 12GB RAM, 512GB 12GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: No
- UFS 3.1
- Main Camera: Triple
- 50 MP, f/1.9, 26mm (wide), 1/1.31″, 1.2µm, omnidirectional PDAF, Laser AF, OIS
- 48 MP, f/3.5, 104mm (telephoto), 1/2″, 0.8µm, PDAF, OIS, 4x optical zoom
- 12 MP, f/2.2, 114˚ (ultrawide), 1.25µm
- Features: Dual-LED flash, Pixel Shift, Auto-HDR, panorama
- Video: 4K@30/60fps, 1080p@30/60/120/240fps; gyro-EIS, OIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 11.1 MP, f/2.2, 20mm (ultrawide), 1.22µm
- Features: Auto-HDR
- Video: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30/60fps
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6e, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.2, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- GPS: Yes, with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, QZSS, BDS
- NFC: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 3.1
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
- Ultra Wideband (UWB) support
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 5003 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 30W, 50% in 30 min (advertised)
- Fast wireless charging 23W
- Reverse wireless charging
- USB Power Delivery 3.0
Models: GLUOG, G8VOU
Google Pixel 6 Pro Price and Availability
The Google Pixel 6 Pro is priced at $899 for the 128GB version. The 256GB and 512GB versions are not listed in the U.S. The two phones are already available for pre-order now and will be available for purchase on October 28.
It will be available in Cloudy White, Sorta Sunny, and Stormy Black. Those who pre-order in the U.S. get a free Pixel Buds A-Series.