Following announcement of the iQOO 8 Pro flagship smartphone last month, the Vivo sub-brand has today officially unveiled a new variant of the same — iQOO 8 Pro Pilot Edition. The phone packs 12GB RAM and 512GB of internal storage.
Speaking of specifications, it remains the same as the standard edition. The device features a new Samsung E5 AMOLED display, making it the first smartphone in the world to have this new panel. It measures 6.78-inch and offers 120Hz LTPO curved panel with 3200 x 1440 pixels resolution. There’s a 10-bit color temperature, HDR10+, Dolby Vision, and a contrast ratio of up to 8,000,000:1.
Under the hood, the device is powered by the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 plus chipset, coupled with 12GB LPDDR5 RAM and 512GB UFS 3.1 storage. There’s also an ultrasonic fingerprint sensor with a wider sensing area which is claimed by the company to be able to unlock the device in just 0.2 seconds.
As for photography, the phone sports a 50MP Sony IMX766V f/1.75 1.0µm PTZ primary camera with a 7P lens, PDAF, and 23mm focal length, along with a 48MP f/2.2 114° ultrawide angle camera with 6P lens, and a 16MP telephoto camera. The front-facing camera is a 16MP sensor for taking selfies and video calling.
It is fueled by a dual-cell 4,500mAh battery and supports 120W fast wired charging, 50W wireless fast charging, and 10W reverse wireless charging. This makes it the first iQOO smartphone with support for wireless charging.
iQOO 8 Pro Pilot Edition Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100
- 4G bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 18, 19, 20, 26, 28, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41,
- 5G bands: 1, 3, 5, 8, 28, 38, 41, 77, 78, 79 SA/NSA
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G
- Announced: 2021, September 30
- Status: Exp. Released 2021, October 1
- Dimensions: 165 x 75.2 x 9.2 mm (6.50 x 2.96 x 0.36 in)
- Weight: 205 g (7.23 oz)
- Colors: White (BMW M branding), Black
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: LTPO AMOLED, 120Hz, HDR10+, Dolby Vision, 1500 nits (peak)
- Size: 6.78 inches, 111.0 cm2 (~89.4% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1440 x 3200 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~518 ppi density)
- Android 11, OriginOS 1.0
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888+ 5G (5 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.99 GHz Kryo 680 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 680 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 680)
- GPU: Adreno 660
- Storage: 512GB 12GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: No
- UFS 3.1
- Main Camera: Triple
- 50 MP, f/1.8, 23mm (wide), 1/1.56″, 1.0µm, PDAF, gimbal OIS
- 16 MP, f/2.2, 60mm (telephoto), 1/3.1″, 1.0µm, OIS
- 48 MP, f/2.2, 14mm, 114˚ (ultrawide), 0.8µm, AF
- Features: Dual-LED dual-tone flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: 8K@30fps, 1080p@30fps
- Single Camera: Single – 16 MP, f/2.4, (wide)
- Features: HDR
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Radio: FM Radio
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with dual speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- 24-bit/192kHz audio
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.2, A2DP, LE, aptX HD, aptX Adaptive
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- NFC: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 2.0
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, ultrasonic), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 4500 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 120W, 100% in 18 min (advertised)
- Fast wireless charging 50W
- 10W reverse wireless charging
iQOO 8 Pro Pilot Edition Price and Availability
The iQOO 8 Pro Pilot Edition is priced at 5,999 yuan (~$928) and will be up for sale in China from 1st October but the company has started taking pre-orders.
The smartphone comes in a box with Red, Black, and Blue stripes — the same strips that we see on the White-colored device’s back panel, inspired by BMW. There’s also a 55W flash charging car charger bundled in the box.