The iPhone 13 series is finally official. In the lineup, we have the vanilla iPhone 13, the mini variant, Pro version and Pro Max model. However, in this article, we will be talking only about the new iPhone 13.
Apple still maintains the flat-edge frame of the iPhone 12. The design changes include a smaller notch that still manages to fit all of the sensors required for Face ID, and rear cameras that are now arranged diagonally.
The iPhone 13 packs a 6.1-inch Super Retina Display which is protected by Ceramic Shield.
Under the hood, the iPhone 13 is powered by the Apple A15 Bionic. The 5nm chip has a six-core CPU (2x high-performance cores + 4x high-efficiency cores). According to Apple, the CPU is 50% faster than the competition while the GPU is 30% faster. There is no mention of the RAM, which is typical of Apple, but the storage capacity now starts at 128GB and goes up to 512GB.
There are still two cameras on the rear of the iPhone 13 but they are now arranged diagonally. There is a new wide-angle camera that captures up to 47% more light. The ultrawide angle camera also captures more details in low light. Apple has also brought the sensor-shift optical image stabilization feature from the pro models to the smartphone.
There are new and interesting camera features too. Top of the list is Cinematic Mode that holds the focus on a subject and automatically switches it to a new prominent subject that has entered into the scene just like in a movie. Users will also be able to adjust the bokeh effect after shooting. Other features are Night mode, Portrait mode, Deep Fusion, and Smart HDR 4 which recognizes up to four different people in a scene and optimizes the contrast, lighting, and skin tones for each person.
The iPhone 13 now has up to 2.5 hours more of additional battery life. Just like the other iPhone 13 handsets, it also support 20W fast wired charging, 15W MagSafe wireless charging, and 7.5W Qi wireless charging.
iPhone 13 Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2 (dual-SIM)
- CDMA 800 / 1900
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G bands: LTE
- 5G bands: Sub6/mmWave
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G, EV-DO Rev.A 3.1 Mbps
- Announced: 2021, September 14
- Status: Exp. release 2021, September 24
- Dimensions: 146.7 x 71.5 x 7.7 mm (5.78 x 2.81 x 0.30 in)
- Weight: 174 g (6.14 oz)
- Build: Glass front (Gorilla Glass), glass back (Gorilla Glass), aluminum frame
- Colors: Starlight, Midnight, Blue, Pink, Red
- SIM: Single SIM (Nano-SIM and/or eSIM) or Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 6m for 30 mins)
- Apple Pay (Visa, MasterCard, AMEX certified)
- Type: Super Retina XDR OLED, HDR10, Dolby Vision, 800 nits (typ), 1200 nits (peak)
- Size: 6.1 inches, 90.2 cm2 (~86.0% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1170 x 2532 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~460 ppi density)
- Protection: Scratch-resistant ceramic glass, oleophobic coating
- Wide color gamut
- iOS 15
- Chipset: Apple A15 Bionic (5 nm)
- CPU: Hexa-core (2 + 4)
- GPU: Apple GPU (4-core graphics)
- Storage: 128GB 6GB RAM, 256GB 6GB RAM, 512GB 6GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: No
- Main Camera: Dual
- 12 MP, f/1.6, 26mm (wide), 1.7µm, dual pixel PDAF, sensor-shift stabilization (IBIS)
- 12 MP, f/2.4, 120˚, 13mm (ultrawide)
- Features: Dual-LED dual-tone flash, HDR (photo/panorama)
- Video: 4K@24/30/60fps, 1080p@30/60/120/240fps, HDR, Dolby Vision HDR (up to XXfps), stereo sound rec.
- Selfie Camera: Dual
- 12 MP, f/2.2, 23mm (wide), 1/3.6″
- SL 3D, (depth/biometrics sensor)
- Features: HDR
- Video: 4K@24/25/30/60fps, 1080p@30/60/120fps, gyro-EIS
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS, QZSS
- NFC: Yes
- USB: Lightning, USB 2.0
- Sensors: Face ID, accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
- Siri natural language commands and dictation
- Ultra Wideband (UWB) support
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Ion, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 20W, 50% in 30 min (advertised)
- USB Power Delivery 2.0
- MagSafe wireless charging 15W
- Qi magnetic fast wireless charging 7.5W
iPhone 13 Price and Availability
The iPhone 13 will be available for pre-order this Friday, September 17, and will be open for purchase on September 24. Below are the prices:
- 128GB – $799
- 256GB – $899
- 512GB – $1099
The handset is available in Pink, Blue, Midnight, Starlight, and (Product) RED.