Apple iPhone 13 series smartphones will come with dual eSIM support, aside from an array of other features. Back in 2018, the Cupertino-based tech giant introduced the eSIM support to its iPhone XR and XS models. iPhone users could use one eSIM, but had to use a regular SIM at the same time. In other words, they weren’t able to use two eSIMs concurrently. With the iPhone 13 series, using two eSIMs simultaneously has been made possible for the first time.
The recently launched iPhone 13 series – Apple iPhone 13, iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 13 Pro Max, and an iPhone 13 Mini. The iPhone 13 Pro and the Pro Max particularly stole everyone’s attention. The aforementioned models boast upgraded hardware and software features. On the downside, they aren’t easy on the pocketbook. It is worth mentioning here that even the iPhone 12 series had four models.
iPhone 13 Pro Max launched
The new iPhone 13 Pro Max have a 120Hz ProMotion display that adjusts between 10Hz and 120Hz and has a 6.7-inch Super Retina XDR display. Just like the iPhone 13 Mini and iPhone 13, the pro models also feature slightly smaller notches. They are also protected by a sheet of Ceramic Shield which Apple claims is tougher than any smartphone glass. The handset is powered by the Apple A15 Bionic chipset.
The iPhone 13 Pro boast significant upgrades in the camera department. There is a new 12MP f/1.8 ultrawide angle camera with a 120° field of view, and just like we have seen on some Android phones, this sensor can also shoot macro photos (at 2 cm) but Apple doesn’t stop there. It can also record macro videos including in slow motion and time-lapse mode. This sensor also captures up to 92% more light than before.
There is also a 12MP f/2.8 telephoto camera that brings 3x optical zoom (6x optical zoom range across the system) and 15x digital zoom. This sensor also joins the ultrawide angle camera and the wide-angle camera in being able to shoot in Night Mode. The 12MP f/1.5 wide camera has the largest sensor, capturing 2.2x more light on an iPhone and it takes advantage of the LiDAR Scanner when shooting in Night Mode.
Apple has added new video shooting features such as Cinematic Mode that change the focus when recording a video. Users will be able to choose, adjust the level of bokeh, and even lock which objects the camera should focus on. However, there is also an automatic mode that shifts the focus when a person enters the frame or looks away from the camera. This feature will be available on the front TrueDepth camera and the rear wide and telephoto cameras.
Another interesting feature is Photographic Styles which applies your own preferred shooting style (tone and warmth) to your photos but doesn’t change the skies and skin tones.
The iPhone 13 Pro Max still have a lightning connector like their siblings. However, the battery life is better now – an extra 2.5 hours more. Wired charging is still capped at 20W while MagSafe wireless charging is 15W. You can still use a Qi wireless charger but it is slower as it charges at up to 7.5W.
iPhone 13 Pro Max Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2 (dual-SIM)
- CDMA 800 / 1900
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G bands: LTE
- 5G bands: Sub6/mmWave
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G, EV-DO Rev.A 3.1 Mbps
- Announced: 2021, September 14
- Status: Exp. release 2021, September 24
- Dimensions: 160.8 x 78.1 x 7.7 mm (6.33 x 3.07 x 0.30 in)
- Weight: 240 g (8.47 oz)
- Build: Glass front (Gorilla Glass), glass back (Gorilla Glass), stainless steel frame
- Colors: Graphite, Gold, Silver, Sierra Blue
- SIM: Single SIM (Nano-SIM and/or eSIM) or Dual SIM (Nano-SIM/eSIM, dual stand-by)
- IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 6m for 30 mins)
- Apple Pay (Visa, MasterCard, AMEX certified)
- Type: Super Retina XDR OLED, 120Hz, HDR10, Dolby Vision, 1000 nits (typ), 1200 nits (peak)
- Size: 6.7 inches, 109.8 cm2 (~87.4% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1284 x 2778 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~458 ppi density)
- Protection: Scratch-resistant ceramic glass, oleophobic coating
- Wide color gamut
- iOS 15
- Chipset: Apple A15 Bionic (5 nm)
- CPU: Hexa-core (2 + 4)
- GPU: Apple GPU (5-core graphics)
- Storage: 128GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM, 512GB 8GB RAM, 1TB
- Memory Card slot: No
- Main Camera: Quad
- 12 MP, f/1.5, 26mm (wide), 1.9µm, dual pixel PDAF, sensor-shift stabilization (IBIS)
- 12 MP, f/2.8, 77mm (telephoto), PDAF, OIS, 3x optical zoom
- 12 MP, f/1.8, 13mm, 120˚ (ultrawide), PDAF
- TOF 3D LiDAR scanner (depth)
- Features: Dual-LED dual-tone flash, HDR (photo/panorama)
- Video: 1080p@30/60/120/240fps, 10‑bit HDR, Dolby Vision HDR (up to 60fps), ProRes, Cinematic mode, stereo sound rec.
- Selfie Camera: Dual
- 12 MP, f/2.2, 23mm (wide), 1/3.6″
- SL 3D, (depth/biometrics sensor)
- Features: HDR
- Video: 4K@24/25/30/60fps, 1080p@30/60/120fps, gyro-EIS
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS, QZSS
- NFC: Yes
- USB: Lightning, USB 2.0
- Sensors: Face ID, accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
- Siri natural language commands and dictation
- Ultra Wideband (UWB) support
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Ion, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 20W, 50% in 30 min (advertised)
- USB Power Delivery 2.0
- MagSafe wireless charging 15W
- Qi magnetic fast wireless charging 7.5W
iPhone 13 Pro Max Price and Availability
The iPhone 13 Pro Max comes in Sierra Blue, Silver, Gold, and Graphite. It will also be available in 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, and 1TB variants. Below are the prices:
- 128GB – $1099
- 256GB – $1199
- 512GB – $1399
- 1TB – $1599
The Pro Max will be available for pre-order starting this Friday and will be available for purchase on September 24.