Developers at WhatsApp have started rolling out its new chat transfer feature to some Samsung smartphones. This feature was first revealed back in the Galaxy Unpacked 2021 event and would allow chat migration between iOS and Android devices.
At present, the popular social media platform only offers this feature to Samsung smartphones. It allows users to to transfer their account information, profile pictures, personal and group chats, media, and even settings from an iPhone to a Samsung device. In a recent blogpost, the the company announced that it seeks to expand this chat transfer feature, by having including more smartphones from the South Korean tech giant in the compatibility list.
Now, any Samsung phone that runs version 18.104.22.168 or higher of the Samsung SmartSwitch app and runs Android 10 or above can use the WhatsApp Chat Transfer feature. Although, the chat messaging app also added that it is working on soon including other Android smartphones soon as well. On the other hand, iPhone users need WhatsApp iOS version 22.214.171.124 or higher to use this feature.
It is worth noting that Samsung users would also need a USB Type C lightning port to make the transfer as it is a local migration rather than having the data pass through a cloud to ensure privacy.
How to Migrate Your WhatsApp Chat From iPhone to Samsung Phone
For those interested, here are the steps to perform the chat transfer from an iPhone to a Samsung phone:
- Turn on your Samsung and connect by cable to your iPhone when prompted.
- Follow the Samsung Smart Switch experience.
- When prompted, scan the QR code displayed on the new device using the iPhone’s camera.
- Tap Start on your iPhone, and wait for the process to complete.
- Continue setting up your new Samsung.
- When you reach the home screen, open WhatsApp and log in using the same phone number used on your old device.
- Tap Import when prompted, and allow the process to complete.
- Finish activating your new device and you’ll see your chats waiting for you.