Huawei has launched its new nova 9 series of smartphones in China today. The new nova phones are focused on providing the best-in-class camera performance and Huawei has pulled all the stops to achieve this. The nova 9 series also comes with Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 778G chipset, and an incredibly fast charging technology.
The nova 9 sports a 6.57-inch 2340 x 1080 curved OLED panels with a 120Hz refresh rate, a 300Hz touch sampling rate, and a P3 color gamut. There is a centered punch hole that houses a single camera.
The phone is powered by the Snapdragon 778G processor with 4G instead of 5G. The chipset is paired with 8GB of RAM and it will be available in 128GB and 256GB configurations.
The nova 9 has a 4300mAh battery capacity with support for 66W fast charging.
The phone have Bluetooth 5.2 with support for LDAC, NFC with support for payment, dual-band Wi-Fi, dual-SIM support, dual-frequency GPS with support for NavIC, and an in-display fingerprint scanner. Huawei will ship both phones with HarmonyOS 2 out of the box.
Huawei nova 9 cameras
The cameras are an important part of the nova 9 series phones, so we have to talk about them under a separate heading.
The camera department is one of the major differences between both phones. The Nova 9 has a single 32MP front-facing camera unlike the pro version with two sensors.
Huawei says the front cameras can record in 4K, slow motion, shoot portrait videos, and have video stabilization. There is also night mode for videos, and support for recording time-lapse videos. For photos, users can take ultrawide angle selfies, portrait selfies, and portrait selfies with night mode.
On the back, the nova 9 has four cameras – a 50MP f/1.9 RYYB main camera that captures up to 40% more light than a regular camera. There is also an 8MP ultrawide angle camera, a 2MP depth of field camera, and a 2MP macro camera.
The rear camera packs several features such as vlog mode, audio zoom, night mode, dual view video which allows you to record from both the front and rear cameras at the same time, and timelapse mode. One interesting feature is Multi-camera mode which allows you to connect to a nearby phone and get more angles for the shot you want to take or the video you are recording. The phone also come with Petal Clip, a one-click video-editing software.
Huawei nova 9 Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- CDMA 800
- 3G bands: HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 18, 19, 26, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G
- Announced: 2021, September 23
- Status: Exp. release 2021, September 30
- Dimensions: 160 x 73.7 x 7.8 mm (6.30 x 2.90 x 0.31 in)
- Weight: 175 g (6.17 oz)
- Colors: Black, Blue, Green, Violet
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: OLED, 1B colors, 120Hz
- Size: 6.57 inches, 106.0 cm2 (~89.9% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~392 ppi density)
- HarmonyOS 2.0
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM7325 Snapdragon 778G 4G (6 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (4×2.4 GHz Kryo 670 & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 670)
- GPU: Adreno 642L
- Storage: 128GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: No
- Main Camera: Quad
- 50 MP, f/1.9, 23mm (wide), PDAF
- 8 MP, f/2.2, (ultrawide)
- 2 MP, f/2.4, (depth)
- 2 MP, f/2.4, (macro)
- Features: LED flash, panorama, HDR
- Video: 4K, 1080p, 720p@960fps, gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 32 MP, f/2.0, (wide)
- Features: HDR
- Video: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30fps, gyro-EIS
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/a/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.2, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with tri-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS, NavIC
- NFC: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 4300 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 66W, 100% in 38 min (advertised)
- Reverse charging
Huawei nova 9 Price and Availability
The Nova 9 is priced at;
- ¥2699 (~$418) for the 8+128GB version
- ¥2999 (~$464) for the 8+256GB version
The handset will be available for pre-order starting today and will be open for purchase on September 29.