Huawei has introduced its latest midrange offerings to the China market – meet the nova 9 and nova 9 Pro. The pair comes OLED displays, 50MP quad cameras and utilize Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 778G 4G chipset meaning neither device offers 5G connectivity.
nova 9 Pro
The nova 9 Pro features a bigger 6.72-inch 2676 x 1236 screen compared to the vanilla model. The display is a curved OLED panel with a 120Hz refresh rate, a 300Hz touch sampling rate, and a P3 color gamut. Unlike the standard model that has a centered punch hole for a single camera, the pro model has a bigger cut-out on the top left corner for two cameras.
The phone is powered by the Snapdragon 778G processor but with 4G instead of 5G. The chipset is paired with 8GB of RAM and it will be available in 128GB and 256GB configurations.
The nova 9 Pro has a smaller 4000mAh battery compared to the standard variant but charges faster at 100W. Huawei claims the pro model will charge from empty to full in 20 minutes. The pro model also has VC + graphene cooling to keep the temperature down when playing games or running CPU-intensive tasks.
The phone features Bluetooth 5.2 with support for LDAC, NFC with support for payment, dual-band Wi-Fi, dual-SIM support, dual-frequency GPS with support for NavIC, and an in-display fingerprint scanner. Huawei will ship both phones with HarmonyOS 2 out of the box.
Huawei nova 9 Pro cameras
The camera department is one of the major differences between both phones. The nova 9 Pro has two 32MP front-facing cameras – one sensor is an ultrawide angle camera with an f/2.4 aperture while the other is an f/2.0 portrait camera.
Huawei says the front cameras can record in 4K, slow motion, shoot portrait videos, and have video stabilization. There is also night mode for videos, and support for recording time-lapse videos. For photos, users can take ultrawide angle selfies, portrait selfies, and portrait selfies with night mode.
On the back, the nova 9 Pro have four cameras – a 50MP f/1.9 RYYB main camera that captures up to 40% more light than a regular camera. There is also an 8MP ultrawide angle camera, a 2MP depth of field camera, and a 2MP macro camera.
The rear camera packs several features such as vlog mode, audio zoom, night mode, dual view video which allows you to record from both the front and rear cameras at the same time, and time-lapse mode. One interesting feature is Multi-camera mode which allows you to connect to a nearby phone and get more angles for the shot you want to take or the video you are recording. The two phones also come with Petal Clip, a one-click video-editing software.
Huawei nova 9 Pro Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- CDMA 800
- 3G bands: HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 18, 19, 26, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G
- Announced: 2021, September 23
- Status: Exp. release 2021, September 30
- Dimensions: 163.4 x 74.4 x 8 mm (6.43 x 2.93 x 0.31 in)
- Weight: 186 g (6.56 oz)
- Colors: Black, Blue, Green, Violet
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: OLED, 1B colors, HDR10, 120Hz
- Size: 6.72 inches, 110.9 cm2 (~91.2% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1236 x 2676 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~439 ppi density)
- HarmonyOS 2.0
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM7325 Snapdragon 778G 4G (6 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (4×2.4 GHz Kryo 670 & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 670)
- GPU: Adreno 642L
- Storage: 128GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: No
- Main Camera: Quad
- 50 MP, f/1.9, 23mm (wide), PDAF
- 8 MP, f/2.2, (ultrawide)
- 2 MP, f/2.4, (depth)
- 2 MP, f/2.4, (macro)
- Features: LED flash, panorama, HDR
- Video: 4K, 1080p, 720p@960fps, gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 32 MP, f/2.4, 100˚ (ultrawide)
- Features: HDR
- Video: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30fps, gyro-EIS
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/a/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.2, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with tri-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS, NavIC
- NFC: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 4000 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 100W, 100% in 20 min (advertised)
- Reverse charging
Huawei nova 9 Pro Price and Availability
The Nova 9 Pro is priced at;
- ¥3499 (~$542) for the 8+128GB version
- ¥3899 (~$604) for the 8+256GB version
The smartphone will be available for pre-order starting today and will be open for purchase on September 29.