Apple kicked off its September with the launch of the 9th Gen iPad (Apple iPad 10.2 2021) and the new iPad Mini. Both tablets pack new features such as a faster chipset, better cameras, and the new iPadOS 15.
The new Apple iPad 10.2 (2021) comes with a 10.2-inch Retina display with similar-sized bezels as its predecessor. Since the bezels have not been cut down, it still features Touch ID on the bottom bezel. A new feature that has been added is True Tone which automatically adjusts the color temperature based on surrounding light.
The big upgrade is the new A13 chipset which Apple claims brings a 20% increase in CPU, GPU, and Neural Engine performance. The base model now comes with double the storage, so you get 64GB instead of 32GB.
Another big upgrade is the camera department. The front-facing camera is a new 12MP sensor with Center Stage, the feature that arrived on the iPad Pro last year that digitally pans the camera when making video calls. The rear camera is an 8MP sensor.
The 9th gen iPad is compatible with the 1st Gen Apple Pencil as well as the Apple Smart Keyboard. It will run iPadOS 15 out of the box.
Apple iPad 10.2 (2021) Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 3G bands: HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (CA)
- Announced: 2021, September 14
- Status: Exp. release 2021, September 24
- Dimensions: 250.6 x 174.1 x 7.5 mm (9.87 x 6.85 x 0.30 in)
- Weight: 487 g (Wi-Fi) / 498 g (LTE) (1.07 lb)
- Build: Glass front, aluminum back, aluminum frame
- Colors: Silver, Space Gray
- SIM: Nano-SIM, eSIM
- Stylus support (1st gen only)
- Type: Retina IPS LCD, 500 nits (typ)
- Size: 10.2 inches, 322.2 cm2 (~73.8% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1620 x 2160 pixels, 4:3 ratio (~265 ppi density)
- Protection: Scratch-resistant glass, oleophobic coating
- iPadOS 15
- Chipset: Apple A13 Bionic (7 nm+)
- CPU: Hexa-core (2×2.65 GHz Lightning + 4×1.8 GHz Thunder)
- GPU: Apple GPU (4-core graphics)
- Storage: 64GB, 256GB
- Memory Card slot: No
- Main Camera: Single – 8 MP, f/2.4, 31mm (standard), 1.12µm, AF
- Features: HDR, panorama
- Video: 1080p@25/30fps, 720p@120fps; gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 12 MP, f/2.4, 122˚ (ultrawide)
- Features: HDR
- Video: 1080p@25/30/60fps, gyro-EIS
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 4.2, A2DP, EDR, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS (Wi‑Fi + Cellular model only)
- NFC: No
- USB: Lightning, USB 2.0; magnetic connector
- Sensors: Fingerprint (front-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, compass, barometer
- Siri natural language commands and dictation
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Ion, non-removable (32.4 Wh)
Apple iPad 10.2 (2021) Price and Availability
The new iPad starts at $329 but can be purchased for $299 if you are a student. It will be available in two colors – Silver and Space Gray – and will be available for pre-order today.