Google has finally launched the Pixel 5a 5G. The phone is just slightly different from the last year’s Pixel 4a with 5G.
Speaking of design, the Pixel 5a has a new unibody aluminum design in a new ‘Mostly Black’ color that has a slight green hue to it. The body is IP67 dust and water resistant. The design, however, is largely identical to that of the Pixel 4a with 5G.
The Pixel 5a has a slightly larger 6.34-inch, 2400×1080 resolution OLED display but it’s still 60Hz.
The internals is just the same as the Pixel 5a 5G is still being powered by the Snapdragon 765G with 6GB LPDDR4X memory and 128GB storage.
Also, talking about the photography section, there’s nothing new in the cameras. On the back are the same 12MP f1.7 main and 16MP f2.2 ultra-wide cameras and on the front is an 8MP f2.0 camera. The spectral + flicker sensor has been dropped.
Perhaps the major difference between the Pixel 4a with 5G and the Pixel 5a is the battery. While the 4a had a respectable 3885mAh battery, the Pixel 5a has a sizable 4680mAh battery. It lacks wireless charging and the charging is still done with the 18W fast charger.
Aside from these changes, the Pixel 5a with 5G is basically identical to the Pixel 4a with 5G.
Google Pixel 5a 5G Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- CDMA2000 1xEV-DO – region dependent
- 4G bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 32, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 46, 48, 66, 71
- 5G bands: 1, 2, 5, 12, 25, 28, 41, 66, 71, 77, 78 Sub6
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (CA), 5G
- Announced: 2021, August 17
- Status: Exp. release 2021, August 26
- Dimensions: 154.9 x 73.7 x 7.6 mm (6.10 x 2.90 x 0.30 in)
- Weight: 183 g (6.46 oz)
- Colors: Mostly Black
- Build: Glass front (Gorilla Glass 3), metal frame, metal back
- SIM: Nano-SIM and/or eSIM
- IP67 dust/water resistant (up to 1m for 30 mins)
- Type: OLED, HDR
- Size: 6.34 inches, 97.0 cm2 (~85.0% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~415 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- Always-on display
- Android 11
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM7250 Snapdragon 765G 5G (7 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.4 GHz Kryo 475 Prime & 1×2.2 GHz Kryo 475 Gold & 6×1.8 GHz Kryo 475 Silver)
- GPU: Adreno 620
- Storage: 128GB 6GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: No
- Main Camera: Dual
- 2 MP, f/1.7, 27mm, 77˚ (wide), 1/2.55″, 1.4µm, dual pixel PDAF, OIS
- 16 MP, f/2.2, 119˚ (ultrawide), 1.0µm
- Features: LED flash, Pixel Shift, Auto-HDR, panorama
- Video: 4K@30/60fps, 1080p@30/60/120/240fps; gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 8 MP, f/2.0, 24mm, 83˚ (wide), 1.12µm
- Features: Auto-HDR
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE, aptX HD, LDAC
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, QZSS, BDS
- NFC: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 3.1
- Sensors: Fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 4680 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 18W
- USB Power Delivery 2.0
Google Pixel 5a 5G Price and Availability
The Pixel 5a with 5G is available for pre-order in the US and Japan starting today from the Google Store. In the US, the phone is priced at $449. It will start shipping on August 26.
The Pixel 5a 5G comes only in the Mostly Black color with forest green undertones and an olive-colored Power button. However, the company sells a case in four different colors – Black Moss, Maybe Moon, Likely Lime, and Partially Pink.