Building on its pioneering effort set with last year’s Axon 20 5G, ZTE has just unveiled the ZTE Axon 30 5G bringing a new generation of under-screen camera technology again this year. The handset not only features a better display but boasts an under-screen camera technology that also promises a better imaging effect than its predecessor.
Unlike its predecessor’s display which could boast of just 200 PPI, the Axon 30 display comes with the world’s first 400PPI under-screen camera phone. It is also the first phone with an under-screen camera that supports a 120Hz refresh rate.
The ZTE Axon 30 5G with a completely symmetrical, non-perforated 6.92-inch AMOLED screen with 1.07 billion colors and a resolution of 2460 x 1080 pixels. The device utilizes a slender 20.5:9 screen aspect ratio with a 100% coverage of the DCI-P3 color gamut, matching all colors in the digital image. The device also comes with DTS: XUltra 3D sound effects that can provide an immersive audio and video experience.
ZTE also features two new smart display controls on the Axon 30: smart pixel enhancement control and smart optimized display control. The multi-drive ACE circuit arrangement makes the transition of the camera area under the screen more natural. The 7-layer screen structure, special OLED and more transparent cathodes, and high-transmittance arrays create better conditions for the camera under the screen.
As for the camera department, the Axon 30 is equipped with a 16 megapixels large-size front camera with a single-pixel size of up to 1.12um. ZTE says it relied on tens of thousands of sets of data, through AI deep learning for model training, and finally realized the revolutionary upgrade of the proactive intelligence algorithm 2.0, allowing users to use AI image quality even in scenes with darker ambient light.
Enhancement technology greatly improves the resolution of the picture, thereby improving the problems of underexposure and obvious noise during shooting, thus improving the practicality of the under-screen camera. The camera sample shows a bright prospect but we’ll have to wait for independent reviews to know if ZTE has indeed gotten it right.
Under the hood, the Axon 30 is powered by the Snapdragon 870 processor. It is also equipped with UFS3.1 flash memory and supports memory fusion technology, which can call 8GB from flash memory as Virtual storage (post push), combined with the 12GB physical RAM version, this bumps up the available RAM to 20GB.
Furthermore, the Axon 30 is also excellent in rear imaging. It adopts a matrix arrangement of a four-camera setup in which the main camera is the 64-megapixel Sony IMX682sensor teaming up with an 8-megapixel ultra-wide-angle sensor, a 5-megapixel macro, and a 2-megapixel depth-of-field lens.
At the same time, ZTE Axon 30 also supports smart Vlog short video shooting function, with different built-in smart shooting templates. You can choose music, special effects, and filters as you like, without the need for further editing before publishing.
In other respects, the Axon 30 packs a 4200mAh battery and supports 55W fast charging. It also comes with NFC in addition to 5G support.
ZTE Axon 30 5G Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- CDMA 800
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE (unspecified)
- 5G bands: 1, 3, 28, 41, 78 SA/NSA
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (CA), 5G
- Announced: 2021, July 27
- Status: Exp. release 2021, August 03
- Dimensions: 170.2 x 77.8 x 7.8 mm (6.70 x 3.06 x 0.31 in)
- Weight: 189 g (6.67 oz)
- Build: Glass front, glass back, plastic frame
- Colors: Black, Aqua
- SIM: Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: OLED, 1B colors, 120Hz
- Size: 6.92 inches, 113.7 cm2 (~85.9% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2460 pixels (~388 ppi density)
- Always-on display
- Android 11, MyOS 11
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8250-AC Snapdragon 870 5G (7 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×3.2 GHz Kryo 585 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 585)
- GPU: Adreno 650
- Storage: 128GB 6GB RAM, 128GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 12GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: microSDXC (uses shared SIM slot)
- UFS 3.1
- Main Camera: Quad
- 64 MP, f/1.8, 25mm (wide), 1/1.73″, 0.8µm, PDAF
- 8 MP, f/2.2, 120˚, 16mm (ultrawide)
- 5 MP, f/2.4, (macro)
- 2 MP, f/2.4, (depth)
- Features: Dual-LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: 4K@30/60fps, 1080p@30fps, gyro-EIS, HDR, 10‑bit video
- Selfie Camera: Single – 16 MP, f/2.0, (wide), under display
- Features: HDR
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- 24-bit/192kHz audio
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.1, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- NFC: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 3.1, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Ion 4200 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 55W
- USB Power Delivery
- Quick Charge 4+
ZTE Axon 30 5G Price and Availability
As per pricing, the Axon 30 5G will come in four different memory variants. Here are the prices;
- 6 GB +128G version —– 2,198 yuan (~$338)
- 8 GB + 128GB version — 2,498 yuan (~$384)
- 8 GB + 256GB version – 2,798 yuan (~$430)
- 12 GB + 256GB version – 3,098 yuan (~$476)
The 12 GB + 256GB version will get a discount of 100 yuan during the first sale bringing the price down to 2998 yuan (~$460).
The Axon 30 5G models will officially go on sale at 10 am on August 3. ZTE has also confirmed that the Axon 30 5G will be launched for the global market this September.