Finland’s HMD Global has launched its first rugged smartphone called Nokia XR20. It’s what the company believes a no-compromises mobile should be – calling it life-proof. It’s built to last both in hardware and in software.
Starting with its hardware – the Nokia XR20 comes with a ruggedized casing, which is MIL-STD810H-certified to withstand drops from 1.8 meters. Coupled with standard IP68 water and dust resistance and Gorilla Glass Victus on the front and the XR20 looks like a phone that won’t require cases or screen protectors.
The rugged Nokia phone is built around a 6.67-inch FHD+ IPS LCD that can light up to 550 nits and works even with wet fingers or gloves.
Under the hood, there’s a Snapdragon 480 chipset with 6GB of RAM and 5G connectivity. There’s a single configuration with 128GB of storage, which can be expanded through the microSD card slot.
On the back, the XR20 has only two cameras – a 48MP 1/2.25-inch f/1.8 main camera and a 13MP 1/3-inch f/2.4 ultrawide unit, each with its own LED flash. The selfie camera is an 8MP f/2.0 fixed-focus unit.
The Nokia XR20 runs Android 11 and Nokia has committed to four years of monthly security updates and three years of major OS updates
Moving back to hardware, the Nokia XR20 has stereo speakers rated at up to 96dB with OZO playback technology for improved detail. A side-mounted capacitive fingerprint scanner covers biometrics. The XR20 has a top-placed custom button which you can set to any action or app you choose.
Finally, the phone is fueled by 4,630mAh battery unit that promises two days of endurance. It can be topped up by 18W of wired or 15W of wireless charging.
Nokia XR20 Specification
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2 (dual-SIM model only)
- CDMA 800 / 1900
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 20, 25, 26, 28, 30, 38, 40, 41, 48, 66, 71
- 5G bands: 2, 5, 25, 38, 41, 48, 66, 77, 78 SA/NSA
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G
- Announced: 2021, July 27
- Status: Exp. release 2021, August 24
- Dimensions: 171.6 x 81.5 x 10.6 mm (6.76 x 3.21 x 0.42 in)
- Weight: 248 g (8.75 oz)
- Colors: Ultra Blue, Granite Gray
- SIM: Single SIM (Nano-SIM) or Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 1.5m for 60 min)
- Drop-to-concrete resistance from up to 1.8 m
- MIL-STD-810H compliant
- Type: IPS LCD, 550 nits
- Size: 6.67 inches, 107.4 cm2 (~76.8% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~395 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass Victus
- Android 11
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM4350 Snapdragon 480 5G (8 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (2×2.0 GHz Kryo 460 & 6×1.8 GHz Kryo 460)
- GPU: Adreno 619
- RAM: 6GB
- Internal Storage: 128GB
- Memory Card slot: microSDXC (uses shared SIM slot)
- Main Camera: Dual
- 48 MP, f/1.8, (wide), 1/2.25″, 0.8µm, PDAF
- 13 MP, f/2.4, 123˚ (ultrawide), 1/3.0″, 1.12µm
- Features: Zeiss optics, Dual-LED dual-tone flash, second LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Selfie Camera: Single – 8 MP, f/2.0 (wide), 1/4.0″, 1.12µm
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.1, A2DP, LE, aptX Adaptive
- GPS: Yes, with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS, NavIC
- NFC: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 3.0
- Sensors: Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 4630 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 18W
- Fast wireless charging 15W
Nokia XR20 Price and Availability
The Nokia XR20 comes in Ultra Blue or Granite Grey color options with a single 6/128GB configuration for $550. Sales begin August 24.