Following several months of waiting, the Huawei has finally unveiled its P50 series. This time around, we only have the vanilla version and the Huawei 50 Pro, no Pro+ model. But both of course boasts improved cameras and some interesting choices for chipsets, more on that in a second.
Starting with the cameras – still Leica-branded cameras, both models feature 10-channel color sensors and improved telephoto modules. The P50 comes with a main camera – a 50MP sensor sitting behind a 23mm lens with an f/1.8 aperture and Optical Image Stabilization (OIS).
The Huawei P50 has a periscope of its own, for the first time on a non-Pro model. This one has 125mm focal length (5x zoom), though with a more modest 12MP sensor behind the f/3.4 lens with OIS. The vanilla model has a slightly narrower 16mm ultra wide lens and a similar 13MP sensor. Both models have single 13MP selfie cameras.
Huawei has adopted Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 888 processor with a 4G modem. It comes with 8GB of RAM and will be available in 128GB and 256GB storage variants with support for storage expansion via an NM memory card slot.
The device is fueled by a 4,100mAh which supports 66W fast charge over USB-C and 50W wirelessly.
It has a IP68 rating for dust and water resistance.
The vanilla P50 gets a flat 6.5” OLED panel instead with the same resolution. Its refresh rate is only 90Hz, but the touch sampling rate remains at 300Hz. This one supports HDR as well.
Huawei P50 Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 3G bands: HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE (unspecified)
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A
- Announced: 2021, July 29
- Status: Exp. release 2021, August
- Dimensions: 156.5 x 73.8 x 7.9 mm (6.16 x 2.91 x 0.31 in)
- Weight: 181 g (6.38 oz)
- Colors: Black, Gold, White
- SIM: Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 1.5m for 30 min)
- Type: OLED, 1B colors, 90Hz
- Size: 6.5 inches, 101.6 cm2 (~88.0% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1224 x 2700 pixels (~458 ppi density)
- HarmonyOS 2.0
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 4G (5 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 680 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 680 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 680)
- GPU: Adreno 660
- Storage: 128GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: NM (Nano Memory), up to 256GB (uses shared SIM slot)
- Main Camera: Triple
- 50 MP, f/1.8, 23mm (wide), 1/1.28″, 1.22µm, omnidirectional PDAF, Laser AF, OIS
- 12 MP, f/3.4, 125mm (periscope telephoto), PDAF, OIS, 5x optical zoom
- 13 MP, f/2.2, 16mm (ultrawide)
- Features: Leica optics, dual-LED flash, panorama, HDR
- Video: 4K@30/60fps, 1080p@30/60fps, 1080p@960fps; gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 13 MP, f/2.4, (wide)
- Features: Panorama, HDR
- Video: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30/60/240fps
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.2, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS. Up to tri-band: GLONASS (3), BDS (3), GALILEO (2), QZSS (2), NavIC
- NFC: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 3.1, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, color spectrum
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 4100 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 66W
Huawei P50 Price and Availability
The Huawei P50 will be available globally (which may explain why they are locked to 4G only).
Huawei P50 – Available September 2021
- 8GB RAM + 128GB = ¥4488 (~$695)
- 8GB RAM + 256GB = ¥4988 (~$772)
It will be available in three color options.