Chinese manufacturer Huawei has unveiled the HUAWEI P50 series. The lineup consists of two models for now – Huawei P50 and Huawei P50 Pro. They are both high-spec 4G smartphones with a 6.5-inch OLED display.
Huawei P50 Pro
Talking about the Pro variant, the P50 Pro like the vanilla version comes with the same main camera – a 50MP sensor sitting behind a 23mm lens with an f/1.8 aperture and Optical Image Stabilization (OIS).
The device also has a 40MP black & white camera, this one with a 26mm lens and an f/1.6 aperture. Then there’s the 13MP ultrawide-angle camera with a 13mm f/2.2 lens. The cameras are also assisted by Laser autofocus.
For zooming in, there is a periscope lens. It has only 90mm focal length, less than most periscopes we’ve seen so far (that’s around 3.9x magnification), but the high resolution 64MP sensor offers a lot of flexibility – digital zoom goes up to 2,700mm. This lens has an f/3.5 aperture and OIS.
The P50 Pro feature XD Fusion Pro, an image fusion system that doubles the amount of gathered light compared to the P40 Pro and increases dynamic range by 28%. Both phones top out at 4K video capture, there’s no 8K option. For slow-motion clips, they can do 1080p @ 960 fps.
It comes in two versions – one with Kirin 9000 and one with Snapdragon 888. Interestingly, both versions only support 4G connectivity, even if both chipsets are clearly capable of 5G.
Anyway, the phone will be available with several memory configurations. The base model has 8 GB of RAM and 128/256/512GB storage (plus a NM card slot for up to 256 GB more). The top-specced model has 12GB of RAM and 512GB storage.
The Huawei P50 Pro comes with a curved 6.6” OLED display with 1,225 x 2,700 px resolution (450ppi). It is an HDR-enabled panel with 120Hz refresh rate and 300Hz touch sampling rate.
It is fueled by a 4,360mAh battery that supports 66W fast charge over USB-C and 50W wirelessly.
The handset also have stereo speakers and it’s rated IP68 for dust and water resistance.
Huawei P50 Pro Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 3G bands: HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE (unspecified)
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A
- Announced: 2021, July 29
- Status: Exp. release 2021, August
- Dimensions: 158.8 x 72.8 x 8.5 mm (6.25 x 2.87 x 0.33 in)
- Weight: 195 g (6.88 oz)
- Colors: Black, Gold, White, Pink, Blue
- SIM: Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 1.5m for 30 min)
- Type: OLED, 1B colors, 120Hz
- Size: 6.6 inches, 105.4 cm2 (~91.2% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1228 x 2700 pixels (~450 ppi density)
- HarmonyOS 2.0
- Kirin 9000 (5 nm)
- Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 4G (5 nm)
- Octa-core (1×3.13 GHz Cortex-A77 & 3×2.54 GHz Cortex-A77 & 4×2.05 GHz Cortex-A55)
- Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 680 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 680 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 680)
- Mali-G78 MP24
- Adreno 660
- Storage: 128GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM, 512GB 8GB RAM, 512GB 12GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: NM (Nano Memory), up to 256GB (uses shared SIM slot)
- Main Camera: Quad
- 50 MP, f/1.8, 23mm (wide), 1/1.28″, 1.22µm, omnidirectional PDAF, Laser AF, OIS
- 64 MP, f/3.5, 90mm (periscope telephoto), PDAF, OIS, 3.5x optical zoom
- 13 MP, f/2.2, 13mm (ultrawide)
- 40 MP, f/1.6, 23mm (B/W)
- Features: Leica optics, LED flash, panorama, HDR
- Video: 4K@30/60fps, 1080p@30/60fps, 1080p@960fps; gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 13 MP, f/2.4, (wide)
- Features: Panorama, HDR
- Video: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30/60/240fps
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 5mm jack: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.2, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS. Up to quad-band: GLONASS (4), BDS (4), GALILEO (3), QZSS (2), NavIC
- NFC: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 3.1, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer, color spectrum
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 4360 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 66W
- Fast wireless charging 50W
Huawei P50 Pro Price and Availability
Huawei P50 Pro 8GB RAM version – Pre-order begins July 30, available August 12
- 8GB RAM + 128GB (Snapdragon 888 only)= ¥5988 (~$926)
- 8GB RAM + 256GB (Kirin 9000 and Snapdragon 888) = ¥6488 (~$1004)
- 8GB RAM + 512GB (Kirin 9000 and Snapdragon 888) = ¥7488 (~$1159)
Buyers will be able to buy the P50 Pro in the aforementioned configurations in White, Black, Gold, and Pink.
Huawei P50 Pro 12GB RAM version – Available September 2021
- 12GB RAM + 512GB (Kirin 9000 only, Ripple Blue only) = ¥7988 (~$1236)
- 12GB RAM + 512GB ((Kirin 9000 only, Black collector’s edition with a charger included) = ¥8488 (~$1313)