DxOMark: Huawei P50 PRO Is Now The Best Camera Phone In The Market
Yesterday, Huawei took the wrap off a new generation of the P-series flagships. Last year, the company produced three top-end devices within the series, but came with only two this year. The lack of components affects and the new family has only two models: Huawei P50 and Huawei P50 Pro.
As usual, Huawei’s main focus is on the capabilities of the cameras and the P-series is a testing ground for new developments. The Huawei P50 Pro did not fail to continue with this legacy. Excellence in photo capabilities is the main motto of this line. This smartphone managed to ascend to the top of mobile photography rankings and once again show everyone what Huawei can do with cameras.
Huawei P50 Pro Camera
Immediately after the announcement of the Huawei P50 Pro, the guys at DxOMark did not waste time to release their verdict. Both the main camera and the front camera were given the first lines in the rating of the best camera phones from DxO. The rear camera got an average score of 144, which is one point more than the previous leader Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra.
DxOMark called the Huawei P50 Pro the smartphone with the best wide-angle sensor and is especially good at taking zoomed-in shots. Among the strengths of the main camera, experts noted a natural and accurate white balance, low noise, good detail and exposure, effective stabilization, and a wide dynamic range.
There were some drawbacks, and most of them are associated with video filming. So, sometimes autofocus failures, inaccurate exposure and noise on textures occur when shooting video in poor ambient lighting conditions, as well as indoors.
A portion of praise went to the front camera of the Huawei P50 Pro. Experts were pleased with the detail when taking pictures during the day, wide dynamic range, stabilization; when shooting video and accurate white balance. All the flaws of the camera are revealed in light deficiency; when inaccurate rendering of skin tones appears, autofocus failures occur and a limited dynamic range is noticeable.
DxOMark Test Summary
- Low noise levels and wide dynamic range in all conditions for primary and ultra-wide cameras
- Accurate and natural white balance
- Good detail at medium- and long-range tele indoors and in daylight
- Good exposure and wide dynamic range in videos
- A Good white balance transition and stable autofocus in videos
- Good detail in indoor and daylight videos
- Effective video stabilization
- Shallow depth of field means some subjects might be out of focus in multi-plane portraits
- Occasional autofocus failures in low light
- Preview image different from captured image
- Noise on textures in low-light videos
- Occasional white balance casts in indoor and outdoor videos
- Slight exposure instabilities in some video