Leica, a company well-known for camera sensors has partnered with with Chinese giant Huawei, to launch its first self-branded smartphone targeted at the Japanese market â€” Leitz Phone 1, as a SoftBank exclusive device.
The Leitz Phone 1 is pretty similar to the Sharp Aquos R6Â which was also launched exclusively in Japan. The phone is touted to offer a â€œtrue Leica experienceâ€ down to the level of industrial design and user interface.
As for the design, the Leitz Phone 1 comes with Leica Red Dot and a magnetic circular lens cap. It also has a matte black glass cover on the â€œLeica Silverâ€ metallic body. The device measures 9.5mm in thickness and weighs around 212 grams.
The smartphone features a 6.6-inch IGZOÂ OLED display and offers a 2730 x 1260 pixels screen resolution along with an adaptive 240Hz refresh rate. Underneath, the device is powered by a Snapdragon 888 chipset, paired with 12GB of RAM and 256GB of internal storage with support for expandable storage.
The key selling point of the phone is the massive 1-inch camera sensor on the back that has a 20-megapixel shooter with f/1.9 aperture and 19mm equivalent focal length. On the front side, thereâ€™s a 12.6-megapixel selfie snapper.
The device run Android 11Â out-of-the-box with the companyâ€™s own custom user interface. The phone, which has an IP68 rating to make it water-resistant, is powered by a 5,000mAh battery.
Leitz Phone 1 Specifications
- Dimension: 162.0 x 74.0 x 9.5mm
- Weight: 212g
- Color: Leica Silver
- SIM: Nano-SIM
- Waterproof (IPX5 / IP8X) Dustproof (IP6X)
- Type: Pro IGZO OLED, 120Hz (1Hz- 240Hz)
- Size: 6.6 inch
- Resolution: 1260 x 2730 Ã— 1260 19.5: 9
- Chipset: Snapdragon 888 SM8350
- CPU: 2.84GHz Octacore
- GPU: Adreno 660
- RAM: 12GB
- Storage: 256GB
- Memory Card Slot: microSDXC
- Main Camera: Dual
- 20 MP, 1 inch sensor, 19mm, f/1.9
- Selfie Camera: 12.6 MP, 27mm, f/2.3
- Android 11
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a / b / g / n / ac / ax Wi-Fi6
- Bluetooth: v5.2
- USB: USB Type-C
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- NFC: Yes
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Ion 5000 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging
- Sensors: Fingerprint (3D ultrasonic fingerprint sensor in the screen Qualcomm 3D Sonic Max), accelerometer, gyro, proximity
- Osaifu Keitai
Network: 5G Support with Maximum downlink 2.4Gbps
Leitz Phone 1 Price and Availability
The Leitz Phone 1, which is aÂ SoftBank-exclusive device, is priced at 187,920 yen in Japan that roughly converts to $1,700. The phone will be up for pre-orders from 18th June and will be available for purchase in late July.