Huawei Mate 40 Pro 4G, Mate 40E 4G, and Nova 8 Pro 4G were officially listed for presale in China earlier this month. The company has now officially launched the trio for sale in its home country. The major highlight of the models is the presence of HarmonyOS 2 onboard all three models.
The phones are not new, they had earlier been launched last year but with 5G capabilities. The company has decided to release a 4G-only version, perhaps due to the chip shortage occasioned by the US trade embargo that has made it impossible for the Chinese firm to buy semiconductors from US companies. The company is likely relying on the stockpile of chips it made before the ban went into effect.
Huawei Mate 40 Pro 4G
Talking of the specs, the Huawei Mate 40 Pro 4G version is equipped with a Kirin 9000 processor paired with 8GB RAM while there are 128GB and 256GB storage options. The device starts at 6,099 yuan which is 400 yuan cheaper than the 5G version.
Huawei Mate 40E 4G
On the other hand, the Mate 40E 4G version is equipped with aÂ Kirin 990E processor backed by 8GB RAM as well as 128GB and 256GB storage options. The Mate 40E starts at 4199 yuan, also 400 yuan cheaper than the 5G version.
Mate 40E specifications
- 6.5-inch (2376 x 1080Â Pixels) FHD+ OLED display,90 Hz refresh rate
- HUAWEI Kirin 990E 5G ( 2 x Cortex-A76 2.86 GHz + 2 x Cortex-A76 2.36 GHz + 4 x Cortex-A55 1.95GHz GHz) processor with ARM Mali-G76 GPU, Big Core + Tiny Core NPUs (Neural-network Processing Unit)
- 8GB RAM, 128GB / 256GB storage, expandable memory up to 256GB with NM memory card
- Android 10 with EMUI 11
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / NM card)
- 64MP camera with f/1.9 aperture, Leica optics, 16MP ultra-wide camera with f/2.2 aperture, 8MP telephoto camera with 3x optical zoom, OIS, LED flash
- 13MP front camera with f/2.4 aperture
- In-display fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
- Dimensions: 158.6Ã—72.5Ã—8.8mm; Weight: 188g
- 5G SA/NSA, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ax (2.4GHz and 5GHz), Bluetooth 5.2 LE, GPS (L1 + L5 dual band), NavIC, NFC, USB 3.1Â Type-C (GEN1)
- 4200mAh (typical) battery with 40W HUAWEI SuperCharge wired and wireless fast charging
Huawei Nova 8 Pro 4G
The Nova 8 Pro 4G is the cheapest model among the lot. It is equipped with a Kirin 985 processor and has the same memory configuration as its predecessors. It starts at 3699 yuan which is 300 yuan cheaper than the 5G version.
Nova 8 specifications
- 6.57-inch (2340 x 1080 pixels) FHD+ OLED 90Hz curved display
- Kirin 985 (2 x Cortex-A76 Based 2.56 GHz + 2 x Cortex-A76 Based 2.40 GHz + 4 x Cortex-A55 1.84 GHz) processor with ARM Mali-G77 GPU, Big Core + Tiny Core NPUs (Neural-network Processing Unit)
- 8GB RAM with 128GB / 256GB storage
- Android 10 with EMUI 11
- Dual SIM (nano + nano)
- 64MP camera with f/1.9 aperture, 8MP ultra-wide camera with f/2.4 aperture, 2MP depth and 2MP macro camera with f/2.4 aperture
- 32MP front camera with f/2.0 aperture
- In-display fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 160.12 x 74.01Ã—7.64mm; Weight: 169g
- USB Type-C Audio
- 5G SA/NSA, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ac (2.4GHz/5GHz), Bluetooth 5.1, GPS, USB Type-C
- 3800mAh (typical) / 3700mAh (minimum) with 66W SuperCharge fast charging
Apart from the lack of a 5G modem, the 4G versions are exactly the same as their 5G counterparts in terms of product design and other specs. You also get the HarmonyOS 2 installed from the go.
We donâ€™t know if Huawei will have enough stock to sell these models outside China. By the way, would you still buy a Huawei smartphone in the absence of GMS? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section.