A few days ago, Xiaomi teased the arrival of a new mid-range smartphone and now the company has officially launched the device â€” Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 2021. This is simply an upgraded version of the original Redmi Note 8 that was launched a couple of year ago and has sold more than 25 million units globally since its launch.
The smartphone is built around a 6.3-inch Full HD+ LCD screen offering 2340 x 1080 pixels screen resolution and Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection on top. Underneath, the device is powered by the MediaTek Helio G85 chipset with a Mali-G52 2EEMC2 GPU.
It packs 4GB LPDDR4x RAM with two internal storage options â€” 64GB and 128GB and has a microSD card slot, allowing users to expand the storage capacity up to 256GB.
In the camera department, thereâ€™s a quad-camera setup on the back that packs a 48-megapixel Samsung GM1 sensor, an 8-megapixel ultra-wide-angle lens, a 2-megapixel macro lens, and a 2-megapixel depth sensor. On the front side, the phone features a 13-megapixel snapper for taking selfies and video calling.
Connectivity options on the device include Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 5.2, GPS + GLONASS, and USB Type-C port. The phone, which is P2i coated for splash resistance, has a fingerprint sensor and IR sensor.
The device is running the Android 11 operating system out-of-the-box with the companyâ€™s own MIUI 12.5 custom user interface on top. It is powered by a 4,000mAh battery with support for 18W fast charging and comes with a 22.5W charger in the box.
Redmi Note 8 2021 Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 40
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A
- Announced: 2021, May 25
- Status: Exp. release 2021, May
- Dimensions: 158.3 x 75.3 x 8.4 mm (6.23 x 2.96 x 0.33 in)
- Weight: 190 g (6.70 oz)
- Build: Glass front (Gorilla Glass 5), glass back (Gorilla Glass 5), plastic frame
- Colors: Neptune Blue, Moonlight White, Space Black
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: IPS LCD, 500 nits (typ)
- Size: 6.3 inches, 97.4 cm2 (~81.7% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~409 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Android 11, MIUI 12.5
- Chipset: MediaTek Helio G85 (12nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (2×2.0 GHz Cortex-A75 & 6×1.8 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G52 MC2
- Storage: 64GB 4GB RAM, 128GB 4GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: microSDXC (dedicated slot)
- eMMC 5.1
- Main Camera: Quad
- 48 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/2.0″, 0.8Âµm, PDAF
- 8 MP, f/2.2, 120Ëš (ultrawide), 1/4.0″, 1.12Âµm
- 2 MP, f/2.4, (macro)
- 2 MP, f/2.4, (depth)
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: 1080p@30/120fps; gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 13 MP, f/2.0, (wide), 1/3.1″, 1.12Âµm
- Features: HDR, panorama
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Radio: FM Radio
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.2, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- NFC: No
- Infrared port: Yes
- Radio: FM radio
- USB: USB Type-C 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 4000 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 18W
Redmi Note 8 2021 Price and Availability
The Redmi Note 8 2021 is available in three color options â€” Neptune Blue, Moonlight White, and Space Black. Xiaomi is yet to reveal the pricing details for the smartphone as at the time of writing. However, the device has been listed on Mi.com global site and should soon be available for purchase in European and Russian markets.