MediaTek Dimensity 900 5G SoC Launched, Built On Advanced 6nm Process
MediaTek has today officially launched the new Dimensity 900 5G chipset. The new mobile processor isÂ the latest entry into the Dimensity lineup of 5G SoC and is built on a high performance 6nm process node.
According to an official announcement, the new Dimensity 900 5G SoC arrives with support for Wi-Fi 6 standard, along with 120Hz high refresh rate on FHD+ panels. Furthermore, the processor can also support 108 megapixel primary camera as well. According to Dr. JC Hsu, Corporate VP and GM of MediaTekâ€™s Wireless Communications Business Unit, â€œDimensity 900 brings a suite of connectivity, display and 4K HDR visual enhancements to high-tier 5G smartphones and gives brands great design flexibility for their 5G portfolios.â€
He further added that â€œThe chipsetâ€™s support for 5G and Wi-Fi 6 ensures users get the most of out their devices with super-fast and reliable connectivity.â€ The Dimensity 900 chipset is also integrated with a 5G New Radio (NR) sub 6GHz modem with carrier aggregation and support for bandwidth up to 120MHz. The chip is an octa core CPU, which consists of two ARM Cortex A78 processors that have a clock speed of up to 2.4GHz along with with six ARM Cortex A55 cores that can reach up to 2GHz.
The MediaTek Dimensity 900 also supports PDDR5 memory and UFS 3.1 storage as well and arrives with an integrated Arm Mali G68 MC4 graphics processing unit (GPU) and an independent AI processing unit (APU). Notably, the new AI processing unit in the chip is touted to be extremely power efficient and can support a wide variety of AI applications and 4K HDR as well.
Features Of MediaTek 900 SoC
- Excellent image creation ability:Â Dimensity 900 supports MediaTek Imagiq 5.0 image processing technology. It also adopts a multi-core ISP and comes with an exclusive hardware-level 4K HDR video recording engine. It also combines 3D noise reduction (3DNR) and multi-frame noise reduction (MFNR) technology. The maximum pixel size is 108MP, the current upper limit in the industry.
- Better AI camera application:Â This chip uses MediaTekâ€™s third-generation APU, which has the advantages of floating-point accuracy of INT8, INT16, and FP16 operations. It enhances the AI â€‹â€‹camera application experience with high-efficiency AI performance. It also supports AI white balance, AI autofocus, and other shooting functions.
- Stunning video quality:Â The chip-level MediaTek MiraVision image quality engine can intelligently adjust the image quality of the video stream. It improves the color, brightness, contrast, sharpness, and dynamic range. This feature also enhances the SDR video content to a display effect close to HDR. Also, the HDR10 upgrade to HDR10+, and supports HDR10+ video. The playback real-time image quality enhancement feature comprehensively improves the look and feel of video-image quality.
- Advanced network connection:Â Continuing the leading advantages of MediaTek dual-SIM card technology, Dimensity 900 supports a dual-SIM 5G standby function, and both cards support 5G SA/NSA networking and dual-SIM VoNR voice services. It integrates 2Ã—2 MIMO Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth 5.2, and GNSS.
- Smooth gaming:Â This chip supports MediaTek HyperEngine as well as dual-SIM parallel for game calls. The 5G high-speed rail and super hotspot game mode can help users enjoy the game world.
At present, the MediaTek Dimensity 5G SoC has six series. These include the Dimensity 1200, 1100, 1000, 900,800 and 700 series. These series are available for the global market. According to reports, the Dimensity 900 will be available in the second quarter of 2021.