ASUS has unveiled its latest flagship phone and it arrives as the Zenfone 8. The new flagship is smaller than most of the phones available on the market now and caters to those who want a device with a small form factor.
Zenfone 8 Unveiled
Zenfone 8 Design
The Zenfone 8 is a sweet smartphone for fans of compact phone that doesn’t compromise on performance. Most phones these days are in the 6.5-inch range which can be pretty bumpy for a lot of people.
ASUS has managed to squeeze a 5.9-inch screen in a frame that is just 148mm tall and 68.5mm wide. The back is curved to make it more comfortable to hold and the frosted matte back adds a nice touch to the overall design while keeping fingerprint smudges at a minimum.
The Zenfone 8 has a blue-colored power button and is available in Obsidian Black and Horizon Silver, the latter whose color shifts depending on the angle light rays land on it.
Zenfone 8 specs
The 5.9-inch display panel which is protected by a sheet of Corning Gorilla Glass Victus has a 120Hz refresh rate and a punch hole at the top left corner. It also has a Pixelworks chip, HDR10+, a 112% DCI-P3 color gamut, and a peak brightness of 1100 nits.
There is a Snapdragon 888 processor inside and it comes with up to 16GB of LPDDR5 RAM and 256GB of UFS 3.1 storage.
On the back of the phone are two cameras – a 64MP Sony IMX686 f/1.8 1.6µm main camera with Quad Bayer technology and a 12MP Sony IMX363 f/2.2 1.4µm ultrawide angle camera with Dual PDAF that also supports 4cm macro photography. For the front-facing camera, ASUS has put a 12MP sensor inside the hole in the left corner. The Sony IMX663 camera has a 1.22µm pixel size and Dual PDAF too.
ASUS has also focused on the audio features of the Zenfone 8. In addition to having an audio jack at the top, the phone also has stereo speakers, Dirac HD sound technology, dual Cirrus Logic CS23L45 amplifiers, and Hi-Res Audio. The amplifiers provide increased volume and a higher bass with better power optimization. There is also an Audio Wizard app that allows you to choose from four sound profiles scenario effect and 10 customizable equalizers.
The phone packs a 4000mAh battery with support for 30W fast charging via a USB-C port. There are three charging profiles that you can choose from including Scheduled Charging which lets you choose when the phone should begin charging when plugged in.
The Zenfone 8 has an IP68 rating, Wi-Fi 6E, and an under-display fingerprint scanner. It runs Android 11 out of the box and comes with a 30W adapter.
Asus Zenfone 8 Full Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 3G bands: HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands:
- 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 18, 19, 20, 26, 28, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 – International
- 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 30, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 66, 71 – USA
- 5G bands:
- 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 20, 28, 38, 77, 78 SA/NSA – International
- 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 20, 25, 38, 40, 66, 71, 77, 78 SA/NSA – USA
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (5CA) Cat20 2000/150 Mbps, 5G
- Announced: 2021, May 12
- Status: Exp. release 2021, May 13
- Dimensions: 148 x 68.5 x 8.9 mm (5.83 x 2.70 x 0.35 in)
- Weight: 169 g (5.96 oz)
- Build: Glass front (Gorilla Glass Victus), glass back (Gorilla Glass 3), aluminum frame
- Colors: Obsidian Black, Horizon Silver
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: Super AMOLED, 120Hz, HDR10+, 1100 nits (peak)
- Size: 5.9 inches, 84.0 cm2 (~82.9% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~446 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass Victus
- Always-on display
- Android 11, ZenUI 8
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 5G (5 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 680 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 680 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 680)
- GPU: Adreno 660
- Storage: 128GB 6GB RAM, 128GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 16GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: No
- UFS 3.1
- Main Camera: Dual
- 64 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/1.73″, 0.8µm, PDAF, OIS
- 12 MP, f/2.2, 112˚, 14mm (ultrawide), 1/2.55″, 1.4µm, dual pixel PDAF
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: [email protected], [email protected]/60/120fps, [email protected]/60/240fps, [email protected]; gyro-EIS, HDR
- Selfie Camera: Single – 12 MP, f/2.5, 28mm (standard), 1/2.93″, 1.22µm, dual pixel PDAF
- Video: [email protected], [email protected]/60fps
- Radio: FM radio (market/region dependent)
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- 32-bit/384kHz audio
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6e, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.2, A2DP, LE, aptX HD, aptX Adaptive
- GPS: Yes, with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS, QZSS, NavIC
- NFC: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 4000 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 30W, 60% in 25 min, 100% in 80 min (advertised)
- USB Power Delivery 3.0
- Reverse charging
Asus Zenfone 8 Price and Availability
The Zenfone 8 comes in four configurations – 6GB + 128GB, 8GB + 128GB, 8GB + 256GB, and 16GB + 256GB and has a starting price of €599. There is no mention of when the phone will be available for purchase but it will be sold in different markets around the world.