They both have unique variable telephoto cameras that can switch between 70mm and 105mm, which equates to around 2.9x and 4.4x optical zoom.
The shooter itself uses a 12MP 1/2.9″ Sony sensor with f/2.3 or f/2.8 aperture depending on the focal length you use and optical image stabilization. The main camera uses the good old 12MP 1/1.7″ sensor coupled with an f/1.7 OIS lens while the ultrawide snapper has a 12MP 1/2.6″ imager, f/2.2 aperture and autofocus, which is not that common on ultrawide units even among flagships.
For optimal performance on those precious cameras, Sony has put ZEISS lenses with T coating. Additional software features include real-time Eye AF on top of the already existing Eye AF that works on animals and humans, Optical SteadyShot and 4K recording at 120fps for those crisp slow motion takes.
The front camera seemingly remains unchanged from last year – using the same 8MP sensor.
Xperia 5 III
The Xperia 5 III also moves to 120Hz refresh rate, but on a smaller 6.1-inch OLED panel of Full HD resolution with the same 21:9 aspect ratio and again complete with HDR support.
It is powered by the flagship Snapdragon 888 chipset and gets the slightly more conservative 8GB/128GB and 8GB/256GB versions. The phone’s storage is expandable via a microSD card that can be inserted in the hybrid dual SIM slot.
The Xperia 5 III has the same – a 4,500mAh battery as the 1 III and also support up to 30W fast charging (50% in 30 minutes), promising 3-year-long life. The Xperia 5 III does not support wireless charging.
Multimedia And Gaming on Xperia 5 III
It wouldn’t be a proper flagship release if multimedia and gaming features were left out so Sony doesn’t disappoint there as well. The device boast powerful stereo loudspeakers and 240Hz motion blur reduction in supported games. Low gamma raiser helps with visibility in shadows, while sound equalizer helps you better hear gunshots and footsteps. Sony has also made extra effort to improve the microphone input during voice chat – removing background noise and clears up the speech.
Game recording is also available at up to [email protected] and there’s one neat feature Sony calls Rewind time recording. It’s similar to Nvidia’s highlight recording, where it constantly records the last 30 seconds during gameplay. So if you want to save your highlight of the game, just hit record and the software rewinds the last 30 seconds and saves them.
Sony Xperia 5 III Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2 (dual-SIM model only)
- 3G bands: HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE
- 5G bands: SA/NSA/Sub6
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G
- Announced: 2021, April 14
- Status: Exp. release 2021, Q2
- Dimensions: 157 x 68 x 8.2 mm (6.18 x 2.68 x 0.32 in)
- Weight: 168 g (5.93 oz)
- Build: Glass front (Gorilla Glass 6), glass back (Gorilla Glass 6), aluminum frame
- Colors: Frosted Black, Frosted Gray, Frosted Purple
- SIM: Single SIM (Nano-SIM) or Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- IP65/IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 1.5m for 30 mins)
- Type: OLED, 120Hz, HDR BT.2020
- Size: 6.1 inches, 86.9 cm2 (~81.4% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2520 pixels, 21:9 ratio (~449 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 6
- Android 11
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 5G (5 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 680 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 680 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 680)
- GPU: Adreno 660
- RAM: 8GB
- Internal Storage: 128GB, 256GB
- Memory Card slot: microSDXC (uses shared SIM slot)
- UFS 3.X
- Main Camera: Quad
- 12 MP, f/1.7, 24mm (wide), 1/1.7″, 1.8µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS
- 12 MP, f/2.3, 70mm (telephoto), f/2.8, 105mm (telephoto), 1/2.9″, Dual Pixel PDAF, 3x/4.4x optical zoom, OIS
- 12 MP, f/2.2, 124˚, 16mm (ultrawide), 1/2.6″, Dual Pixel PDAF
- Features: Zeiss optics, Zeiss T* lens coating, LED flash, panorama, HDR, eye tracking
- Video: [email protected]/25/30/60/120fps HDR, [email protected]/60/120/240fps; 5-axis gyro-EIS, OIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 8 MP, f/2.0, 24mm (wide), 1/4″, 1.12µm
- Features: HDR
- Video: [email protected], 5-axis gyro-EIS
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 5mm jack: Yes
- 24-bit/192kHz audio
- Dynamic vibration system
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.2, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- GPS: Yes, with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO
- NFC: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 3.1; USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, barometer, compass, color spectrum
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 4500 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 30W, 50% in 30 min (advertised)
- USB Power Delivery
Sony Xperia 5 III Price and Availability
The Sony Xperia 5 III’s colors are just Black, Green and Pink. According to Sony, the phone will be available at the start of this summer with pricing to be confirmed later on.