Early in March, TECNO CAMON 17 was spotted on Google play console as Tecno CG6J. and on that platform some details of the device was revealed. The device is finally official in Kenya. The phone features a high refresh rate display, a MediaTek chipset, and a large battery. Let’s take a look at its entire specs, features, price, and availability.
TECNO CAMON 17 features a 6.6-inch HD+ LCD panel with a resolution of 720 x 1600 pixels, 267 PPI, 90Hz refresh rate, 90% screen-to-body ratio, and a large punch-hole at the top left corner.
The device is powered by a MediaTek Helio G85 SoC gaming chipset, with 4GB/6GB RAM and 128GB internal storage. Expanded via a MicroSD card slot.
Looking at the cameras, it features a triple rear camera which includes a 48MP Samsung S5KGM1ST03 (GM1) primary sensor, a QVGA GalaxyCore GC6153 sensor, and a 2MP GalaxyCore GC02M1B depth sensor.
On the front, the phone sports a 16MP Samsung S5K3P9SP04 sensor for selfies and video calls inside the punch-hole.
The phone is made of plastic, measures 164.5 x 76.5 x 8.95mm in dimensions, and comes in three colors (Frost Silver, Deep Sea, Tranquil Green). On the back, it features a large ‘TECNO CAMON’ branding, a fingerprint sensor, and a vertically aligned triple camera setup.
Other features include supports for 4G, dual-band WiFi, Bluetooth 5.0, and GNSS, a 3.5mm headphone jack, and charges via a MicroUSB port. The device also houses the three essential sensors – ambient light sensor, accelerometer, and proximity sensor.
TECNO CAMON 17 runs HiOS 7.6 based on Android 11 out of the box and is housed by a 5,000mAh battery with support for 18W fast charging.
TECNO CAMON 17 Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE Band 1, 3, 5, 8, 40, 41
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (3CA) Cat9 450/50 Mbps
- Announced: 2021, April 25
- Status: Exp. Released 2021, May
- Dimensions: 164.5 x 76.5 x 8.95 mm
- Weight: g
- Colors: Frost Sliver, Deep sea, Tranquil Green
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: IPS LCD, 90Hz, 450 nits
- Size: 6.6 inches, 104.7 cm2 (~84.9% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 720 x 1600 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~270 ppi density)
- Android 11 (HiOS 7.6)
- Chipset: MediaTek Helio G85 (12nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (2×2.0 GHz Cortex-A75 & 6×1.8 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G52 MC2
- RAM: 4/6 GB
- Internal Storage: 128 GB
- Memory Card Slot: microSDXC (uses shared SIM slot)
- Main Camera: Triple
- 48 MP
- AI main
- Features: Quad-LED flash, Panorama, HDR
- Video: 4K/[email protected]
- LED Flash
- Selfie Camera: Single – 16 MP, f/2.0, 1/4″ Pixel Size, 1.0µm,
- Features: Dual-LED flash, Panorama
- Video: [email protected]
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- NFC: No
- GPS: Yes, with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS
- USB: 2.0, USB OTG
- Sensors: Fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type and Capacity: Non-removable Li-Po 5000 mAh battery
- Fast Charging: Yes, Fast battery charging 18W (wired)
TECNO CAMON 17 Price and Availability
The price of the TECNO CAMON 17 for 4GB RAM+ 128GB storage mode starts at KSh 18,899 ($175.32) in Kenya, NGN 74,000 in Nigeria. There’s no info on the pricing of the 6GB + 128GB variant.
The phone is expected to be announced in other countries in the coming weeks.