The world of gaming smartphones keeps getting bigger and bigger. And aside that, affordable options also keeps growing. Are you looking for a gaming smartphone that will offer good experience with extra features such as a better display, bigger battery capacity, faster-charging technology, and more, yet affordable? The Redmi K40 Game Enhanced Edition can bring these to your table.
The latest entry in the Redmi K40 series builds upon the design of its siblings. While it keeps the centered punch-hole display design, it adds a customizable RGB light to the rear camera module, drops the boring round/pill-shaped LED flash for a lightning bolt-shaped one, adds retractable shoulder buttons to the frame, and also changes the speaker grille design. It also manages to squeeze a significantly bigger battery capacity in a body that is just a bit thicker (8.3mm).
All these design changes help the Redmi K40 Game Enhanced Edition stand out from its siblings.
The Redmi K40 Game Enhanced Edition has a flexible OLED screen that measures 6.67 inches. The display has a 120Hz refresh rate, a three-finger 480Hz touch sampling rate, a DCI-P3 color gamut, and HDR10+ certification. The bezels on three of the sides measure 1.8mm while the chin is 2.7mm thick. There is Gorilla Glass 5 on both sides of the phone.
For the gaming edition, Redmi has gone with MediaTek’s Dimensity 1200 processor. The 6nm chipset also has a GPU whose drivers can be independently upgraded as we have seen with some Qualcomm chipsets. The chipset is paired with up to 12GB of RAM and 256GB of storage.
As for cameras, the Redmi K40 Gaming Enhanced Edition has a 64MP triple camera setup on the back. The phone is the first in the industry to use an ultra-low dispersion optical glass lens. The 64MP f/1.65 sensor is paired with an 8MP 120° ultrawide angle camera, and a 2MP 40mm macro camera. The camera app is packed with lots of software features
Redmi has partnered with JBL for the stereo speakers of the Redmi K40 Game Enhanced Edition. The phone also has Dolby Atmos, Hi-Res Audio (wired and wireless), a 3-mic design (top, side, and bottom), and an x-axis linear motor. It has Bluetooth 5.2, Wi-Fi 6, GPS (including NavIC), and support for AAC, LDAC, and LHDC codecs.
The Redmi K40 Game Enhanced Edition packs a 5065mAh battery capacity, a 12% increase over that of the other K40 models. It then pairs it with 67W fast wired charging, the fastest in a Redmi-branded smartphone. The phone also supports Quick Charge 3.0 and Power Delivery 3.0.
There is liquid cooling and specially designed Wi-Fi and 5G antennas to make sure that you remain connected while gaming. As expected, there is a Game Mode that you can turn on to customize your gaming experience. The phone runs MIUI 12.5 based on Android 11 out of the box.
Redmi K40 Game Enhanced Edition Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- CDMA 800
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- CDMA2000 1x
- 4G bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 18, 19, 26, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42
- 5G bands: 1, 3, 28, 41, 77, 78 SA/NSA/Sub6
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G
- Announced: 2021, April 27
- Status: Exp. release 2021, April 30
- Dimensions: 161.9 x 76.9 x 8.3 mm (6.37 x 3.03 x 0.33 in)
- Weight: 205 g (7.23 oz)
- Build: Glass front (Gorilla Glass 5), glass back (Gorilla Glass 5)
- Colors: Black, Gray, Silver, Bruce Lee Yellow
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Physical pop-up gaming triggers
- IP53, dust and splash protection
- Type: OLED, 1B colors, 120Hz, HDR10+, 500 nits (typ)
- Size: 6.67 inches, 107.4 cm2 (~86.3% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~395 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Android 11, MIUI 12.5
- Chipset: MediaTek MT6893 Dimensity 1200 5G (6 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×3.0 GHz Cortex-A78 & 3×2.6 GHz Cortex-A78 & 4×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G77 MC9
- Storage: 128GB 6GB RAM, 128GB 8GB RAM, 128GB 12GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 12GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: No
- UFS 3.1
- Main Camera: Triple
- 64 MP, f/1.7, 26mm (wide), 1/2.0″, 0.7µm, PDAF
- 8 MP, f/2.2, 120˚ (ultrawide)
- 2 MP, f/2.4, (macro)
- Features: Dual-LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: [email protected], [email protected]/60/120fps, [email protected], HDR
- Selfie Camera: Single – 16 MP
- Features: HDR
- Video: [email protected], [email protected], HDR
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- 24-bit/192kHz audio
- Tuned by JBL
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.2, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS, NavIC
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared port: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer, color spectrum
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 5065 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 67W, 100% in 42 min (advertised)
- Power Delivery 3.0
- Quick Charge 3+
Redmi K40 Game Enhanced Edition Price and Availability
The Redmi K40 comes in five configurations. It is already available for pre-order and the first sale is scheduled for April 30 at 10 AM. Below are their prices:
- 6GB RAM + 128GB = ¥1999 (~$308)
- 8GB RAM + 128GB = ¥2199 (~$339)
- 8GB RAM + 256GB = ¥2399 (~$370)
- 12GB RAM + 128GB = ¥2399 (~$370)
- 12GB RAM + 256GB = ¥2699 (~$416)
There’s also an exclusive Bruce Lee special edition is coming with a yellow rear panel, yellow accessories and maxed-out 12/256GB memory.